Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Rings & Things Blog Partner Project

The Art Bead Scene was invited to participate in Rings & Things blog partner program. They send a packet of items to review or use in a project, I share my thoughts and results with you.

First up are steel cable chokers. They sent a variety of sizes and colors with both the magnetic clasp and screw clasp. I loved the ease of the magnetic clasp. The colors are fun but I gravitated more toward the modern looking natural steel and the black samples. These would be great to use for a simple choker design for summer art fairs.
Mod Circle Choker
Supplies:
Ceramic button - Jangles
polymer clay disk bead - Humblebeads
hammered brass ring
6mm crystal
brass headpin with ball
8mm brass jump ring
15mm brass jump ring
4" brass wire 22 gauge

Directions

1. Thread wire through button hole and wire wire. String disk bead and form a large loop to wire wrap, slip the hammered ring through the loop before closing, wire wrap the bottom loop.

2. String crystal onto the headpin, trim wire and from a loop. Attach dangle to the bottom loop of the button pendant with a jump ring.
3. Attach the pendant to the cable wire with the large jump ring.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Really beautiful!

capitolagirl said...

That turned out really cool! I love the chunky look of your pendant and the bright colored beads have such a nice contrast between the subdued earthy feel of the hammered brass. When I wear cable chokers, I tend to wear steel/black, haven't had the guts to wear a color yet!

Alice said...

I love it! Did you feel like the magnetic clasp holds well, especially with a weighty pendant? The price is certainly good for the chokers. Thanks so much for sharing! Alice

Anonymous said...

How unique! Such a simple, yet complex look!

Jen Judd said...

I love the steel chokers! I use them frequently because a great bead doesn't always need much more.

I will say, I prefer the screw clasps over the magnetic just because they pull off too easily.

Thanks for the great project!!

JenniferJangles said...

Heather, That's a great necklace. I like how you used the button, very clever. Thanks for choosing my button to use in your project.
Jennifer
Jangles

Dave Robertson said...

Hi Heather, I like your choice of keeping the choker part of the design really simple + a fun, showy central piece. Works great!

--Dave
at Rings & Things

Heather Powers said...

Thanks everyone!

Alice, I didn't have a problem with the clasp coming undone. But the screw type would be more secure if you are concerned.

Anonymous said...

wow—so beautiful!