Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Jewelry Ideas: Art Pendants and Links, Jump Rings, and Wooden Connectors

I have been busy this fall, developing a new line of pendants and links like the dragonflies shown above. Along with designing new beads comes designing jewelry made with them! This season, for my holiday shows, I wanted to do something simple, using basic materials that are attractive and easy to assemble. Here are a few of my ideas.
For this necklace design, I used raw brass jump rings and hammered circles from Vintaj as the metal element. I paired the Dragonfly Rising focal pendant with some beautiful Wooden Connectors from Rings and Things. I love these connectors with my art pendants, because they have a similar artsy feeling, but are an inexpensive way to accent the necklace and add interest. I also love the warmth of the wood with the raw brass and my earthy porcelain glazes. I finished this necklace off with some silk cord, which I think adds to the earthy, woodland effect of the necklace.
I wanted to make a shorter and more delicate necklace with a similar feeling to the one above, so I used one of the smaller Dragonfly links and linked them together with some smaller Wooden Components (I love this branch design!) paired with gunmetal jumprings and beautiful pewter oakleaf designed rings.

To finishe the necklace, I used a gunmetal toggle and some pearl and gunmetal beaded chain. I think this would make a great bracelet, too! I am really pleased with how easy these were to make, and so elegant, despite being so simple in design.


The wooden components in the previous post, specifically referenced as from Rings and Things, were provided as promotional gifts by for review or design partnership purposes.


Melanie Brooks is the ceramic beadmaker behind Earthenwood Studio, who blogs from her Metro Detroit, Michigan home.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Those are all beautiful Melanie! I love the simple organic look that would go with any outfit. Both your beads and designs are beatuiful!

Pearl and Pebble said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

love all of the component, great design!

Jeannie said...

Melanie, BEAUTIFUL! They may be simple in design, but they are BIG on style and originality.

LDWatkins said...

I like the looks of those! Very nice!

Dave Robertson said...

Melanie, thanks for allowing our wooden connectors to bask in the spotlight with your wonderful dragonflies. These happen to be among my very favorite findings at R&T, so I'm especially enjoying these designs of yours.

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving :)

--Dave
at Rings & Things

Anonymous said...

I love dragonflies! I'm glad that you used them as a theme for your pendants. I would love to see more of your creations.


Shinkumi

Jewelry St Louis said...

Nice piece of art, Both your beads and designs are attractive to see!!! It is well design. I love to see more varieties and design from your end, I would love to revisit your blog.