Saturday, March 8, 2014

March Monthly Challenge Color Palette



I'm really enjoying this month's challenge artwork, Birds on Riser from Adolf Dietrich. It so perfectly epitomizes the season, don't you think? Especially the colors. Winter-y shades of tan, ice blue, and shades of gray are a lovely background for the colorful birds in the foreground.

Considering the birds are the subject, I kept my focus on them this month, pulling out the brighter shades of their feathers for our challenge palette. Coupled with the cooler, grayer tones of the first four swatches, it works together so well.

But if bright colors aren't your thing, aim for the subtler shades of the feathers. Instead of the bright pink of Swatch 5, look at the pale, dusky pink of the bird in the lower left corner. Instead of the brighter yellow in Swatch 8, use the softer yellow of Swatch 7. And if that orange is too much for you, use any of the shades of brown instead. Because brown comes from orange, this is a switch that will work well.

Your turn: What colors are you thinking of using this month?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you posted this picture of the monthly challenge again. I finally thought of something and it's not jewelry!

Sarajo Wentling said...

I'm leaning toward the blues and grey mixed with a little brown/tan. I'm hoping to finish my necklace tonight...we'll see how much energy I have after a late-ish dinner!