Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best of the ABS - Throw a Bead Soup Party

This post first ran last May, but wouldn't a New Year's Day Bead Soup Party be the perfect way to celebrate the New Year?  Gather together a few beading buddies and make a batch of black eyed peas to serve for lunch!

Here are the basics to throw a little beady soiree of your own:

How to Throw a Bead Soup Party

1. Invite a few of your Beady Friends.

2. Each person needs to bring a strand of beads to share. (You can suggest a color scheme.)

All guest will also need to bring:
focal bead
spacer beads
clasp
beading wire
crimp beads
crimping pliers and wire cutters

3. When everyone arrives, dump the strands of beads into a large bowl. Divide the beads up randomly among your group.

4. String a memory necklace or bracelet using your bead soup.

*provide chocolate for best results!

Pictured above is a work in progress that I started at our last Bead Soup party. We went with a silver/grey/purple color scheme. You can use evite.com for simple online invitations. Don't have any beady friends? Invite a few gals over and teach them how to string!

Have any ideas for a bead party that you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them.

8 comments:

Jeannie said...

This sounds wonderful.

I'll be doing a 36 hour telathon to raise money for Gillette Childrens Hospital hosted by our #1local radio station. I volunteer at the hospital.

I don't remember the last time I celebrated New Year's with family and friends.

Jean Hutter said...

That sounds like such fun - I wish I had some beady friends close by.
Happy 2010 everyone!!!!

Deborah said...

This would be so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! It is a great idea for fostering creativity. Think I will have to try it with my beading students. I'll make sure to share our results.

In Beads and Happiness,
Suzann Sladcik Wilson

Azure Accessories said...

That sounds like fun...could be done any time of the year!!!

I generally spend the day quietly...usually taking down my Christmas tree...
Happy New Years to everyone...
Cheer

TesoriTrovati said...

What a great idea! I think I will come up with a way to have a long distanced bead soup party with some beady friends for the dead of winter.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Unknown said...

Mine is not a beading party - although in a way it is (grin)! Several of my fellow polymer clayers are getting together New Years Eve for a clay-in. We're going to eat, drink and play with clay until we can't go any longer, then nap for a while and start again on New Years Day. I'm sure along the way we'll be making beads of some sort since polymer clay in the right hands makes beautiful beads.

Pretty Things said...

That sounds like fun! I think I'll try that but do it "virtual style"!