Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Bead Scoop: Rings & Things Trunk Show


Last Sunday, I was fortunate to attend a trunk show put on by the jewelry supply wholesaler Rings & Things. I have shopped from their catalog and website for many years but have never been able to attend a trunk show, even though they have been to my area several times in the last few years. I was lucky to have a free schedule and a few hours to spend this time around.

The show took place in the ballroom of a nice hotel. It was well organized and well lit and there were tables upon tables of strands of beads. Mostly semi precious stone beads, but also fresh water pearls, Austrian crystals, some tools and findings, and even a collection of strands of old trade beads.

Just as I expected from my experiences with them on the phone over the years, the customer service was excellent! There were lots of staff members around and they cheerfully explained the discounts and pricing, and I saw them helping customers find the beads they were looking for. There were many staff members waiting to check people out, so any wait would have been minimal. Good bead vibes all around!

I went looking for some clear quartz and crystals, pretty basic stuff. But of course my bead lust got the best of me and I ended up going home with lots of cool strands of stones to use in my projects.

There is a whole list of trunk shows scheduled all around the country on the Rings & Things website. Check it out to see if one is coming to your area! Remember that these are wholesale shows, so you may need to bring tax ID or business identification. Ask a staff member for more info, and I am sure they will be able to help.
Melanie Brooks Lukacs is the ceramic beadmaker of Earthenwood Studio, who blogs from her Metro Detroit, Michigan home.

No comments: