Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Asymmetrical Design Tips

If you are more comfortable with symmetry and order in your jewelry design, branching off into asymmetrical design can seem overwhelming and a little scary. Asymmetrical design can seem deceivingly effortless. But it actually takes quite a bit of planning to balance an asymmetrical design.

Don’t fear! Here are 5 simple tips to successful asymmetrical design.

1.  Layout your beads and arrange them before stringing them, this will help you see any unbalanced areas or where you may need to add in more color.

2.  Balance is the key to asymmetrical design. Each part of your design should be counterbalanced by another element on the other side.

3.  Mix up the colors. Mix in lights and darks along with an accent color so that your creation pops and to avoid the blah coloring that can happen with monochromatic designs. Value is the term in color theory for lights and darks, watch your values and make sure you have a good mix of both.

4.  Alternative the size and shape of the beads to add visual interest to your design. Play with the balance of the beads until everything evens out and no part of the design looks out of place.

5.  Play with texture. A good asymmetrical design will use a variety of finishes and textures as part of the design elements. Mix shiny with matte, rough with smooth, faceted with curved.

There are no right and wrong answers with asymmetrical design; it’s whatever pleases your eye. Remember these 5 tips when taking that leap and you’ll soon be confident in beading without a pattern and mixing up those basic design elements.

8 comments:

Malin de Koning said...

Great post Heather!I believe I also could use one for symmetrical design ... That needs just as much thought, but of another kind. I find symmetrical design easily gets boring, so that is a trick to create interest that despite draws your eye in and "around". And I wonder if there is such a thing as "semi-symmetrical"? I think my latest creation is just that. And I will post about it tomorrow. :-)

Happy cruising!

TesoriTrovati said...

Great tips!
I would add something I call "The Rule of Three"... I try to use odd numbers of things in the design, that automatically makes it asymmetrcical!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Miss Val's Creations said...

Love these tips! Playing with asymmetry can really create masterpieces! ~Val

Jane Perala said...

Thanks for the tips. I find it really hard to design jewelery in an asymmetrical way - I think I am just too anal - lol. However, I love it when it finally comes together, so these tips will be great.

Christina Allen Page said...

Thanks for the tips. Being a super-Virgo, my husband always jokes that my asymmetrical designs are still so carefully spaced that they barely count!

Terri said...

thanks for the tips!!!

Linda Landig said...

I find I am doing more and more asymetrical work. It's a challenge that I am enjoying right now. Thanks for the great tips!

roseworksjewelry said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm no good at asymmetrical design - one of these days I'm going to have to force myself to play with it...