Saturday, October 13, 2012

Studio Saturday with Melanie of Earthenwood Studio


Welcome to Studio Saturday! Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive we offer a free prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard. The following week we choose a random winner.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This weeks winner is AnvilArtifacts
Congratulations! 
You have won a Simple Truths spider pendant from Erin at Tesori Trovati
Send Erin an e-mail with your address and she will get it right out to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week we visit the studio of Melanie Brooks of Earthenwood Studio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 



October may just be my favorite month. I love the change of the weather, as long as I can avoid the annual autumn colds.  But even more than the changing of the leaves and the cooler weather, I love the spooky season of Halloween!  The pumpkins, monsters, candy, and of course the skulls and skeletons... It all appeals to my inner kid.

Lately in my studio, I have been making some fun Halloween inspired jewelry to show off some of my spooky art pendants, like the gothy necklace above.  Some black chain, blood red teardrop beads, a creepy old key, and a little clock detail (to remind you that your time may be up soon!) all coordinate together with my Skullie pendant and the pewter skull from Green Girl studio.


This week, I have one Skully pendant to give away. Leave a comment on this post and tell me about the this you love best about Halloween (or October).  One random winner will chosen next week from the comments.  

Boo! :)


17 comments:

Erin S said...

The skully pendants are so cute!
That's actually what I'm into for halloween--the whole skeleton thing. Specifically, sugar skulls (which technically are "day of the dead" not halloween, but you get the idea.

Unknown said...

Hello Melanie! First of all, I LOVE that that cute Skully Pendant and can think of a myriad of ways to wear it! It's cute and classy too! And, second....October is my most favorite month! The cooler weather, the changing of the leaves, anticipation for snow, my birthday, my grandson's birthday and the general feel of organization and motivation I get from it! Now that I'm starting to have grandkids Halloween will also take on new meaning so maybe it's time to create some interesting jewelry for the season!

AliMc said...

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday! The crunch of leaves, donning a costume to be someone else for a few hrs, and of course the candy!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love autumn for so many reasons. I love the chill in the air and the low humidity when it is a 65 or 70 degree autumn afternoon here in the South. I have red hair, and so I love how I can wander into an autumn wood and practically hide among the colorful leaves. :) The air feels crisp and you can catch the faint smell of drying leaves. And after a rain, the leaves dry on the sidewalk, leaving their impressions like ghosts before they fly away again. I love to go the farmer's market and hunt for the perfect carving pumpkin, and pick up a gallon of delicious unfiltered apple cider. Then back home to have a hot cider and snuggle with my cat.
And I especially love Halloween, Samhain, the "thinning of the veil", a time to have fun and turn the rules upside down with tricks and treats, but also a time to remember our ancestors. :)

lamplight crafts said...

Well as a family, we don't celebrate halloween. However, I love pumpkins. Specifically those done by extremely creative people that carve beautiful one of a kind art pumpkins. Art is everywhere!

DESPINA said...

I adore the autumn palette of nature

DESPINA
deb_oro@yahoo.gr

Joanna-Gloria said...

I adore the changes of colors around me, those warm orange, yellow and red tones!!

Joanna-Gloria, yana_ven@yahoo.gr

fairiesmarket said...

I especially love the variety of color that nature gives us during this time of year. The bright yellow, orange, green and black hues show the subtle changes happening all around us. And of course apple pie (my favorite). :)

Unknown said...

Love Halloween, the dressing up, candy, and silly spookiness

Melinda A said...

I love the skully pendants and I am not a bug Halloween person. There is just something appealing about that smile!
I love the pewter skull too! How fun.

Melinda

*Kel* said...

Hey, there, Melanie! I'm also a big fan of skulls (especially sugar skulls!). I pull a lot of inspiration from Betsey Johnson, my fave commercially produced jewelry designer. Otherwise, I'm not drawn to styles that everyone else is wearing.

Lucid Moon Studio said...

I love Halloween! I love dressing up and I love going crazy with decorations. The cooler weather is great too.

MoonRae said...

My husband becomes such a kid at Halloween!! decorations everywhere and when he doesn't have to work he always sets up a pretty cool haunted house. I just love it

Klassy Joolz said...

I don't know what is about skulls that appeals to me, but I like them...the mystery of them...spooky, creepy...we should appreciate life..."Until Death it is all Life". Halloween brings out the Skeleton in Me (Us)?

I love the movie "Hocus Pocus"...now that is Halloween...I watch it every year...

Boo, too!

Kiwiken said...

Halloween didn't exist over here when I was a kid, and although it is known now, it is still not a big thing or widely celebrated (nothing compared to Christmas, of course, or even to Easter). So IRL, apart from my online activities, it goes by pretty much unnoticed for me. I love the halloween-themed jewelry, the game events, and the halloween episodes of my favourite TV series (though I never get to watch those at the correct time). October in general I love, though. Autumn is my favourite season, and October tends to have the lovely fresh, sunny days with golden leaves dancing on the wind - by November, most leaves are gone and the rain and fog creep in (unfortunately, we had a bit of November weather these past days).

Heather Behrendt said...

My favorite halloween design is black cats. I love all the different designs with a silhouette of a black cat against a full moon. Mysterious and cute at the same time.

Ann said...

I love the change in seasons, even the slight change we felt when we lived in Phoenix. I received some skulls a few years ago from Andrew Thornton and get them out this time of year to anticipate Halloween.

Ann
http://mycriticaleye.com