Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vintaj Patinas

The new Vintaj Patinas for metal have been on my radar for a while.  I was able to try out the new metallic colors and glaze at CHA this year and they offer some fun ways to alter metal.  I was totally inspired this morning by a photo of leaves and wanted to work up something that captured the colors of the autumn leaves.  I knew it time to pull out my collection of patinas and paint up some metal. 

What I love about the patinas is how easy they are to apply and their instant gratification.  Just put a little dot on plate and them brush it onto your metal.  That's it.  Done and over.  You can layer on other colors or mix the colors like paint on your palette.  No chemicals are needed, no sealers.  That's my kind of color system!



For the project above I used the opaque colors of amethyst, ruby, ochre and rust.  There is a whole rainbow of colors available including the new metallics.  Now why is the Renaissance wax peaking out of the corner there? 
 
Well, let me tell you - the patinas can be shiny when they are a solid color.  I didn't want to buff them to make the metal show, I liked the opaque, saturated color.  So I pulled out the wax and dabbed on a light layer changing the patina to a matte finish.  Ah yes, much more my style. 

When opaque the patinas almost remind me of enamel.  Use can use the glaze for different wash effects.  They can be used as a faux natural patina on metal or go crazy painting up your metal in fantasy colors.  

Metal leaves from Vintaj.  Disk beads and polymer leaves from Humblebeads

Check out Lorelei Eurto's results from last week.  I love how she did the patina on the chain.  So many possibilities, so little time.

16 comments:

JuLee said...

OMG! I just love those leafs. I have got some patinas and will HAVE to try something like that. Thanks for the inspiration

Jess Italia Lincoln said...

WOW Heather, now that necklace is stunning, great colors!!! love how you used Ren Wax to make the patina more of a matte finish, I will definitely be doing that. we will be sharing your design and tip on the Vintaj blog next week. thanks for the inspiration! Jess

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Gorgeous beads and colors! I LOVE the new Vintaj patinas-they are so much fun to work with! I too prefer a matte finish for the final result of the patinas. Even the chain I work with has a matte finish!

Erin S said...

thanks for the renaissance wax tip--good to know!

Tania Tebbit said...

They look awesome, and sounds easy!!

Azure Accessories said...

Love the necklace! I been using the Vintaj patina for about 6 weeks now and I really like it a great deal.

Cheers

Claire Maunsell said...

I do exactly the same thing when the translucent Pardo clay comes out tooo shiny - too shiny does not make me happy....long live Renaissance wax! Smart thinking, Heather, the ren wax has such a lovely finish.

I ordered some Ren wax from a sculpture supply in Toronto, this time buying 120 ml instead of 60. It cost me 25$ or something...but, for 96$ I could have bought a litre! That's 1000 ml - was trying to think of all the people I could send some to - apparently quite a few!

Unknown said...

Love the necklace, and the colors are so beautiful!

Sharyl said...

Lovely colors! I didn't even realize any of these were metal until I read on! I'm enjoying the many colors and brands of patinas right now--even mixing and matching brands. Fun stuff!

design pool and spa said...

Wow I love to see that Vintaj Patinas design and most of the beautiful things in it its solid color I too much like it...

Pat Gray said...

Gorgeous necklace! I've been trying to figure out how to capture all the fall colors I see out my studio window without spending a fortune on more beads. This is it - and I can't wait to try the technique on my windchimes too... What an inspiration - thanks so much!

Heather Powers said...

Pat - you may want to seal the wind chimes with a matte finish either a spray or Swellegant's matte sealer.

Have fun playing with the patinas everyone. Share your results with us on the Art Bead Scene facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/artbeadscene

Claire - that would be enough wax to last a lifetime. I find my tiny little jars last over 6 months and I use it all the time!

Lynda said...

Thanks so much, Heather, for sharing your creative processes with all of us. The colors in this necklace are so deep and vibrant...just lovely.

Chris Hansen said...

SQUEEEE!!! <---squeal of delight at what you've done with the necklace - Oh, those lovely colors on the leaves - Heather, the leaves are the perfect backdrop to your beads. Well done! I picked up some Vintaj patinas at the Puget Sound Bead Festival in July, and *finally* got around to playing with them in September - they ARE nice! (now I NEED more colors!) p.s. thank you for the Ren Wax tip - really good to know!

beadsinbeauty said...

My favorite necklace so far!:)

Becky Pancake said...

WOW!! this piece is wonderful. Most fall pieces are subdued but ,this one has color power. The patinas look like fun. I might have to try them.