Sunday, April 14, 2013

Show Me Sunday - Water Beads - with Rebecca of Songbead

Happy Sunday everyone! Hope you're all finishing off your weekends with a little R and R. I'm actually working this Sunday - teaching an Wirework class for The Bead Shop in Manchester. A little change from the norm...usually, my classes run on Fridays and Saturdays. But we know that Sundays can be a better day for some.....and it's almost at full capacity so I'm guessing we were right there! The Wirework class is one of my favourites so it should be a good day. It's the end to a great week - one of my best friend's gave birth to a wee boy on Friday, and it's my birthday on Tuesday, and despite not necessarily welcoming the new number attached to me with open arms (only 32, but still.....), I love a good birthday and the celebrations, even the relatively small ones that come with increasing years, that come along with them. And how better than to celebrate my own day than by toasting the arrival of new life, only a few days before? 

Anyway, onto water beads and such things......

First up is Claire of Something to do beads. Last week, I threw down the gauntlet and invited bead-making readers to come up with their own water-themed beads. Claire did just that, and created these very sweet cloud charms. I even managed to snag one for myself.....but there are 2 more left for you to snaffle should you so desire!


Melissa of Bee Tree by m.e. shared two lovely watery toggles with us too:





I particularly love the aqua shades within the heart toggle....scrumptious. 

And Her Strange Kind shared these absolutely gorgeous lampwork glass beads from Ukraine. 



These just capture the Mediterranean Sea for me perfectly - they remind me of a fantastic holiday I had in Southern Spain two years ago.....Wonderful!

I'd love to see what else you can find! Share links to your watery bead finds here. Or why not follow Claire's lead, and create your own? We'd love to see your new water-themed creations featured here!

And now for the Bead Blogger Links. Happy Sunday!

A Bead A Day 
Spring has arrived along with the rains! Lisa's embracing it by pulling out flowery beads. 

About.com Jewelry Making 
Mix metal, seed beads, and gemstone beads in this new necklace tutorial. 

Art Bead Scene 
Guest 'Pinterest' Blogger Kaushambi leads us through a Spring-themed abundance of art beads! 

Beading Arts 
Cyndi examines different ways to make your stringing projects unique and special!

Carmi's Art/Life World and Dazzle-it 
Carmi is hosting a jewelry making blog hop for Dazzle-it this week that is sure to inspire! 

Resin Crafts 
New bezel sets from Spellbinders make for a fabulous tiered necklace! 

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done! 
Jean is in a blog hop FOR Carmi, and explains what she did for the Dazzle-it! hop on her blog! She had a ball! 

The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton 
Andrew had a lovely creative playdate with artist and jewelry-maker, Lynne Suprock.

Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer, currently living in Manchester, England. You can read more about her and her work at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com. She also has a supplies shop at thecuriousbeadshop.etsy.com.


3 comments:

Claire Lockwood said...

Thanks for featuring the clouds! A lovely watery selection all round.

m.e. said...

Thank you sooooo much for featuring my toggles!
I can't wait to see more water inspired beadies.
Love these themed Sundays
m.e. :)

Kristen said...

Here is a link to my "sea and sand" enameled bead set. I love all the water themed beads!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/124847025/turquoise-and-brown-enameled-art-beads?ref=shop_home_active