Friday, September 12, 2014

Inside the Studio with Rebecca of Songbead

Welcome to Inside the Studio!

Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive we offer a free prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard. The following week we choose a random winner.

Congratulations Shaiha! 
You have won a $10 gift certificate from Tari Sasser.
Please send Tari an email with your information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there! It seems like it was just last week I was here writing an 'Inside the Studio' post - but no, it was way back at the beginning of August, and that definitely wasn't last week. How did that happen then? 

Since my last ItS post, in many ways there hasn't been much change in the Songbead Studio. My fair finished on the 24th August, and since then I have felt a little like I've been chasing my tail - struggling to keep up with the ever-expanding to-do list that Curious and Songbead keep me busy with! 

However, one continuing story is my work with teeny-tiny seed beads....Previously, I've shown you my work with 2.2mm (size 11) seed beads - but this past month, I've moved onto the 1mm seed beads (size 15). 

See how tiny they are? 


A selection in my favourite colours...


Earrings are usually very popular at my shows, and this summer, I was repeatedly asked for small earrings. I am all about the long, swingy, swooshy earrings....so I decided to use my new tiny beads (approx. 7mm across) to create these sweet wee earrings. 



Aqua...


Grape...


Peony pink...


...even mismatched...



I created a matching set in Autumnal colours - more of these to come; what do you think?



...and teamed some up with some of my favourite Art Bead components.






This week, you could win a pair of my handmade handwoven bead earrings, in the colour(s) of your choice! Just answer this question in the comments below...

What's your making/creating obsession right now?

Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer, based in her country's capital, Edinburgh. You can read more about her and her work at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com. She also has a supplies shop at thecuriousbeadshop.etsy.com.

27 comments:

Lola said...

I'm obsessed with making a simple peyote bracelet with seed beads and bugle beads. I've made it in 4 different colors so far, and just purchased beads for color number 5. It's an easy pattern that's repetitive, calming and makes me happy!

I love the beaded beads you created! You've inspired me to make that my next obsession! ;-)

Ann said...

I am into making cork pendants right now. I am adding type to the corks and it is very relaxing.

Carol Briody said...

Oh! Rebecca! I think 'the tinier the seed bead, the better'! They make such beautifully intricate work. Yours are fabulous! And I love the earrings you're created with them.

Unknown said...

Stretching my imagination and creative muscles with polymer clay.Who knows where it will lead? Love your wee handwoven beads.....great colours too!

Terri Del Signore said...

I am loving metal right now. Just got an order of silver that I am dying to find bits of time to manipulate!
Just want to say that of all the beaded beads Ive seen these tiny ones are my
favourite! And - I totally love that last pair of earrings!!

Divya N said...

I dont know why but I am so obsessed with pastel spring colors right now. My work has lots of pearls, glassy translucent items and frosted beads

Unknown said...

Ooh Rebecca you are sooooo clever, your beads are so gorgeous. I am currently playing with patina inks on any metal components I can lay my hands on and polymer clay to create my own beads and components. I now have a bunch of stuff but no mojo to go and use these bits within jewellery!

Marybeth said...

Lately it's been gourds. Cutting, carving amd coloring them to make beads.Your teeny tiny beads are fabulous. Especially like the last kearrings where they are teamed with stick art beads!

Claire Lockwood said...

I just love these new earrings - Soooo close to buying some!

BeadQueen87 said...

Love your earrings! I don't have just one obsession I have 4 making clay beads, necklaces, earrings and bracelets lol x

BeadQueen87 said...

Love your earrings so pretty! I don't just have one obsession I have 4 making clay beads, necklaces, earrings and bracelets x

baymoondesign said...

I just love those beads you are creating!

Currently, I am learning to make different metal links and creating jewelry with them. I am using The Missing Links book.

Alice said...

I like your beaded beads. They are so sweet, especially in the earrings.
I am all about earrings it seems these days, and can't seem to stop making them.
My customers sometimes want shorter earrings but for me that is very difficult.

Sarajo Wentling said...

Your new tiny beaded beads are so adorable! and Tiny! I don't know how you can do that intricate work with suck little beads.

Right now I'm a little obsessed with charm style necklaces... probably because I'm in serious need of more necklaces for an upcoming show! I'm always obsessed with making earrings of all kinds.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

I'm in a creative valley right now, so bracelets remain my go-to project (just the right amount of design input, plus I wear them every day). I love your tiny beaded earrings, Rebecca... I find it a particular challenge to make such small earrings :)

Erin S said...

Mixed media pendants. I love creating a focal, but never want to finish the rest of the piece.

Nancy Blue Moon said...

Earrings, Earrings, Earrings..they are just such fun to make..I love your tiny little beaded beads!

Cynthia said...

I have been making jewelry out of soda cans.

Susanm said...

I've been into tassels for quite some time and just bought some heavy multi-coloured thread that will make great tassels. I'm also obsessed with tie-dye - easy and fun.

Marie said...

I have been in a peyote stitch and bracelet zone. I just bought some size 15 Delicas and can't wait to try them. Your designs are inspiring!

Unknown said...

I so look forward to your posts Rebecca they are so inspirational and your designs so original.

I haven't been able to 'play' with anything arty for a while - but am determined to change that in the very near future.

I have made a little bird's nest following your tutorial quite a while ago and am thrilled with it - so that will give me a kick start I think to get back into jewellery making. (My time has been spent working up my allotment most days growing food for summer and for winter - nearly the end of the season and time for more ladylike and leisurely pursuits.

Good luck everybody in the drawer and every happiness in your new home Rebecca

Shai Williams said...

My obsession has to be playing with Waxed Linen. I love how it is so versatile.

Wendy D. said...

I love the smaller beads and the earrings you're making with them -- they're miniature works of art! My current obsession is using "barbell" copper chain. I liked it so much that I bought six feet of it!

Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with those lovely Czech glass flowers at the moment, you know the ones I mean! They just work so well in so many of my designs.

haezz said...

Those wee beads are adorable! So tiny, yet they pack quite the color and texture punch.
My current obsession is texture and balance in multi-strand bracelets using waxed linen as the foundation. I am loving the challenge.

Colleen said...

First off, these little ones are just adorable. What a great idea for some custom pops of color.

Lampwork is a big obsession right now and so I'm trying to mix it up with other items when creating. Earrings are kind of my go-to thing right now, mainly because I can throw a couple pairs together in the evening after work. But, in general, I'm just trying to create things.

Becky Pancake said...

Your new earrings are way cool. My new obsession is trying all of the new shaped and two hole beads.