Friday, October 23, 2015

Inside the Studio with SWOONDIMPLES

Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive, we offer a prize each week to encourage you to use that keyboard and tell us what you think. The following week a winner is chosen at random from all eligible entries. And here are the results from last week!

Congratulations to Alice Peterson...she was lucky number 1 as chosen by random.org. 
Alice is the winner of a lovely sea inspired ceramic piece created by Michelle McCarthy of Firefly Design Studio. Alice, please contact Michelle to claim your prize! 

My new studio is still in the works as we have just recently moved into a new home. I had stated before that my new space has luscious amounts of natural light and I am over the moon about this. Sadly, I am lacking adequate storage space and would like to invest in some new furniture pieces to help keep my work area tidy (insert belly laugh) I have plenty of shallow drawer space but would like to purchase some rolling carts to seperate shipping supplies and other things. I have been perusing Michaels.com and have a few ideas but I'm unsure if I want thinks 'hidden' or 'exposed'. We have a 5 year old in the house so I am leaning towards 'hidden' but it would certainly be more convenient and inspiring to actually see everything. Perhaps a wall unit would be best and more out of reach of little curious hands?

Here are a few pieces that I like. Please let me know your thoughts.




What are your favorite ways to organize your studio space?

Are your supplies displayed on wall units or hidden within drawers? 

Have you found second hand treasures or built DIY Pinterest pieces? 
If you answer yes to the latter, please send me ideas ;)

This is the current state of my space so please excuse the mess. 





So it's time for a giveaway......... 

The question I have for you is "What storage/organization containers or furniture pieces work best for you?Also, what does your Dream studio space look like? If you are anything like me, you will have a Pinterest board dedicated to this topic.

A winner will be chosen at random and will win this pendant, made by swoondimples
Good Luck!






17 comments:

Unknown said...

shelves with bins and drawers. Big shelves aaaaand those boxes men use for nuts and bolts.
Anywhere with lots of light music aaand movies

baymoondesign said...

I would like to have all of my "stuff" tucked away in narrow drawers that are built into my work table. My work space would look clean and tranquil. I would love lots of sun in the room with a permanent photography area. So not what I have now!

Lorelei Eurto said...

To tidy my workspace, I like drawers. dresser drawers work great for bigger items, then I have metal drawer systems from Ikea that hold beads and things. For shipping stuff I use a lot of open shelving, just plain ol' book cases for things like mailers and baskets filled with gift boxes. I kind of like tidiness but find myself "picking up" spaces more often than not so I'm not sure it's really working. (HAHA!)

Cynthia said...

Excuse the mess? What mess? Your area looks pretty good to me, so I seriously doubt you need any advice from me. I like what you've picked out so far. I have a large open shelf on wheels, so I can get to the items in the back easily. One of my "tricks": I use a tension curtain rod between the walls of a shelf to store my spools of chain. When I need some chain, I just un-reel what I need. (chain is heavy, so use a sturdy rod).
Would LOVE to win that pretty pendant!!

Tammy Adams said...

Your new studio looks lovely with that wall of windows. I bet many fabulous works of art will come from there. As for my dream studio, it would have plenty of space to store things where I can see them and leave them out in the open to be used. After too many years trying to be "organized" with drawers and boxes, and putting my things away when I finished a project, I realized I am a piler, not a filer. I need to see my things to be inspired by them. Also, when I put them away out of sight, I forget where I put them or that I have them, and keep buying more of the same things.

Kristen said...

My husband put up the white plastic coated wire shelves in my studio and I used the clear plastic shoe box type bins to hold much of my supplies. I also have a variety of old tins, vases, containers and shelves everywhere. It looks very hodge podge but it works. I have 4 large tables (yes, I know I am lucky!) and a closet. And it's still a mess! I love my studio, I spend time there everyday.

Anne said...

I am thrilled for you and your new sunny space to work! Storage pieces that I love are all from Ikea. The rolling Alex shallow drawer units have a lovely glide to them and come in different sizes. I also have two Helmer drawer units that hold up a piece of butcher block countertop for a workbench. My 12-drawer Varde workbench is awesome but discontinued, but you might find one on Craigslist. You'd think with all these storage tools my studio would look even half as neat as yours! :)

Unknown said...

i prefer closed storage because I feel like it looks neater. Not that it matters since I don't manage to keep anything neat for long! But in theory. I have some white modular pieces meant for scrapbooking materials that also work well for beading supplies. I like old things and also have several older pieces, mostly things with drawers to keep stuff out of sight. When I put things on shelves, they go in labeled boxes. My dream space is actually attainable - it's just the space I have now but neater!

Heather Wynn Millican said...

Thanks Ladies :)
I am working on my studio today becasue I am feeling the itch to create :)

Unknown said...

My dream studio would have a wall with slots that little (or not so little) clear plexiglass boxes could attach. The boxes would have a lid (for those times when you drop it and don't want to search all over for the beads). The beads would be arranged by color and size. Everything visible but orderly!

fairiesmarket said...

I have s combo of things; shelves, rolling storage drawers, tool boxes, peg boards. With all that I own you'd think I spend my days tucked away creating. I WISH!

Tammy Adams said...

Your studio looks great with all those windows. I'm sure you'll be making many fabulous things in there. As for my dream studio, it would have ample space to keep everything out where I can see it. After years of searching for the perfect drawer, bin, cabinet system, I realized I am a piler not a filer. If I put things away I forget I have it, or I can't find it. I am much more creative and productive if my toys are never "put away." ;)

Unknown said...

I am in the process of redoing my studio and found awesome units and tops at IKEA. I also am using a couple bathroom cabinets for a little taller height transition.

Deb said...

My space is in a sunroom too which is very nice, but there are additions I would like to add like blinds so I don't feel like I'm working in a fishbowl! Those plastic bead/hobby boxes are nice and narrow so I have them labeled in a wardrobe which has shelves and drawers in it. I would LOVE to have a desk like you have though.

Terri said...

Can't seem to have enough storage I use what I have and what has been given to me. I prefer clear storage so I can see what I put in there. I like, like items together for example tiny findings by color and I like bead colors together. Then I like to be able to store them in cabinets ...nice and tidy...that's the plan anyway...So where are all these containers..spread all over the floor...my bead room/office is an obstacle course. My Art room down stairs isn't much different...if I put it away... it is like my creativity gets packed away with it...but then if it is too out of control... I can't think because of all the clutter...time to get organized and start it all over again. Maybe we should have a ABS version of "where women create" and share pictures of our storage solutions. Perhaps call it "where we stash/store/hoard our beads!" LOL!

Carolyn said...

Love your new creating space. Care to share? LoL.

I use plastic containers that have snap tops. I have beads separated by color.

I would love to have a room just like yours.

Carolyn

Karen L said...

I moved this summer and am still unpacking/arranging my own space. But I bought the unit in the upper right of your photo and I really like it - I plan on getting a larger one just like it. I'm still struggling to find the perfect place to store beads and so forth.