Friday, March 4, 2016

Inside the Studio: Humblebeads

Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive, we offer a prize each week to encourage you to use that keyboard and tell us what you think. The following week a winner is chosen at random from all eligible entries. And here are the results from last week!

Congratulations to Julie Bray! You have won of one of Tesori Trovati's Simple Truth's components. Please email Erin to claim your prize.

Welcome to my studio again. I'm filling in this week and happy to share what's new! I'm busy getting ready for a trunk show in a few weeks and have spring/summer themes on my mind. I have been creating lots of art work with butterflies lately. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me it's time to transform and evolve into something new this year.

(You can find my monarch pendant and beads in my Etsy shop.)

Here are my chrysalis from last year and now they have burst forth as butterflies. Oh my, I think I need to make a necklace to tell that story! 

My pendant came about after creating this pattern in watercolors for a class I recently took. One of the lessons I learned in the class is that when it comes to submitting your art (or going after any big creative goal) you are ready now. There is no litmus test to pass, there are no hoops to jump through. If you are making the work, creating from a place of authenticity and exploring, then you are ready now. 

So I made this print as a message to myself. It hangs above my drawing table, where I am busy pursuing my dream of illustrating books and working more as an artist. I'm not leaving beads behind, it's still my greatest love affair but I need more as an artist. For many years I've head myself back thinking I wasn't ready yet, my work wasn't perfect.

Do you hold yourself back, waiting until things are perfect?

Guess what, things will never be perfect. 

Whatever you've been putting off when it comes to your creative dreams, you are ready now. 

Make mistakes as you go along and take a chance. 

Improve your skills as you go. Get better while you are moving forward. 

You are ready now.

Let's be super brave this week - share with me one creative dream you've been holding back because you haven't felt ready.

Leave a comment and next week we'll draw a random winner for a $20 humblebeads.com gift certificate. 

23 comments:

Marcia L. Balonis said...

Love the butterfly. They always remind me of a special friend who also loves them so they bring a smile to my face every time.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this inspiring post, Heather. I find it amazing that such a talented artist as you still needs a push to move forward. You are so accomplished and talented. I've decided that this is my year and I am working on my collection and plan to enter a juried show for the first time. Your comments will be part of my mantras to help myself succeed.

Linda A. said...

Figuring out my next steps...how to improve my skillz so I can move towards my biggest dream of reping for a company

coffeelizard said...

I have a problem with beginning bead embroidery projects as I become concerned the end result won't match what my vision was when planning it.

Unknown said...

You are always a huge part of my inspiration Heather. One of my dreams is to someday teach...of course I have to learn more and find my authentic place in this artistic world first, but I am working on that. I ALWAYS feel like I have to wait for the perfect time, even though I know it isn't likely to come. Thanks for the nudge!

Frostnymph said...

Creating pieces that require using the torch. I love looking at what other people have accomplished with it and bought a micro torch 3 years ago. The thought of it has been so intimidating the torch has never even come out of the box.

Unknown said...

I feel like I'm on a creative dream pathway but I hold myself back by not believing I'm good enough

Unknown said...

Great insight. Ilove the Monarch. .\
s

Unknown said...

That is a great message Heather. I love your work and I love your honesty too. It's so true, if we wait and wait we just won't get anywhere!
It's difficult as a woman to find the time but you just gotta dig in, right?
Thank you for the lovely post today!

Ann Schroeder said...

I always love your beads, but that watercolor is gorgeous! It's fun once in a while to get a glimpse at your drawing or painting; it's always beautiful. I would like to have one of my designs published in a jewelry magazine, but I never create or submit anything because part of me feels like it won't be good enough.

KimG said...

Beautiful as we've come to expect from your artistic hand/mind connection, Heather. Thank you for blessing us all with your talents.

Kim

Anonymous said...

I've just started playing with ceramic clay -- excited to start this new direction!

Sarajo Wentling said...

Great post, Heather! Eric is always pushing me to let go of perfection... and it's great advice but hard to follow for me sometimes. I think there are two big places that I've been holding back: 1) pursuing more metalwork projects, especially those requiring the torch and 2) trying to expand my local jewelry sales through additional consignment and/or wholesale locations, trunk shows, and more.

Creative Designs by Cheri said...

Love the monarch!! Awesome post and thank you for the opportunity!!

Unknown said...

I hold myself back by not feeling I'm good enough

Mary @ MaryMorrisJewelry.etsy.com said...

Oh, I love the quote. I think of lots of things but don't get them accomplished. I'm in love with your beads.

Susan said...

Wow, so pretty. Love your blog and yes I hold myself back too much.

baymoondesign said...

I have always wanted to make gorgeous polymer clay beads like yours. I have started to move forward on that dream by taking a class from you and working my way through your book. All I need now is years of practice making canes. I am finding it very difficult and challenging. I admire your beads and I have no idea how you make so many and come up with your original designs. You are very talented and generous in sharing and helping others.

Beaver Island Jewelry said...

I need to get inspired for a May trunk show for Beaver Island Jewelry here in Ann Arbor. Ideas are floating around me on Pinterest, in my head etc. but need to get into my studio and create!

Klassy Joolz said...

I love the Monarch Butterflies. I'm an insect person and butterflies are just so amazing and yours are beautiful. I do have to push myself at times. My health has not been the best for several months and so my energy level is down...but I'm determined to get back on track.

Thanks for the great post!

Erin S said...

Anything with a torch scares the crap out of me. I know I could do it, but then again...

Deb said...

Thank you, Heather, for being so open about your struggles with confidence about your work. I too am waiting for that special time when I feel that I'm "ready". I too have a torch in its box waiting for me. With your encouraging post I'm going to push past my fear and create!

Elizabeth said...

Yes, yes, yes, I hold myself to a standard to which I hold no one else. Everything must be perfect or I cannot create. Thank you for reminding us that not being perfect is really the goal to achieve. We learn in the doing not in the completion.

Good luck all.