Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Pearls of Wisdom - You Can Never Have Too Much...Cake!
Yes, it's my little pearl of wisdom this month that there's no such thing as too much cake. Or cupcakes, as the case may be. I have an obsession for sweets beads, and I search high and low for artists' cupcake beads (in fact, should you know of any not pictured here, please leave a comment - I'd love to hear about them!) Here's just a few from my collection. Starting from the top and moving clockwise, they are:
1. Choco cupcake with blue roses on top by Debi Cogwell, aka The Palm Tree Queen. Debi not only makes a mouth-watering assortment of cupcakes, she also produces some mean pastry, pie and cake beads, as well as coffee and donuts beads.
2. Sweet heart cupcake studded with white CZs by Kim Miles. Kim makes an elegant range of CZ-topped cupcakes in two sizes, including the elusive winged cupcake (I have yet to acquire one of these - are you planning on making any more soon, Kim?!?).
3. My very first cupcake bead acquisition by Dolly Ahles. I bought this at one of my first visits to the Bead & Button Show several years ago. I did not know what an art bead was back then. In fact, it's amazing that I remember that Dolly made this. I found this peeking out from among a display of her beautiful floral beads.
4. Sweet yet Grinch-y cuppie cake by Rachel Place of Fancy Pants Sugar Toppers Beads. Rachel makes a wonderful line of stripey and polka-dotty cupcake beads. On top of that, she is an inspired cake-maker and offers a variety of beautiful sugar toppers to turn your real-life cupcakes into works of art.
5. Cute, pink, cherry-topped cupcake bead by Lezlie Belanger of Canterbury Keepsakes. Lezlie makes cupcakes in a variety of styles, as well as mouth-watering sundae, ice cream cone, pastry and fine chocolate beads.
6. Happy birthday cupcake with candle by Vickie Miller of Hipkitty Beads. This bead is actually part of a set I commissioned from Vickie for a birthday celebration. Vickie also makes a delectable assortment of fine chocolate beads.
7. Colorful sprinkles cupcake with cherry on top by Ellie MacNish. Well-known for her colorful, bold hollow beads, Ellie was in a mood a while back to make sweets beads, and I nabbed this one from her at that time.
I have to say, all this talk about cupcakes has made me a little hungry. I think I'm going to go have a little snack. Have a great day!