Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On the 2nd Day of Christmas: Funky Flower Pin

You've seen these type of flowers on bags and coats. Here at Creative Impressions In Clay we're all about Fun, Funky & Functional! Let's do a funky version of the layered felt flower.

Supplies needed:

3 colors of Felt
(I purchased my felt at Ornamentea but it is no longer available.
I found another
source online.)
Yarn
Buttons-1" Tie Dye Button, .5" Dot Baby Button
Flower Pattern-I made my own
Thread
Upholstery needle
1.5" Pin Back
E600 glue
Optional-beads and other embellishments

Started with a pattern. I chose a 4 petal flower in 3 different sizes-4.5", 3.5" and 3". I cut my template out of index stock. This way they can be used many times.

Trace around your pattern on the back side of your felt. Cut out all 3 sizes each in a different color.
Thread your upholstery needle (a needle with an eye large enough for your yarn) with your choice of yarn. I used eyelash yarn, which has it's own issues when used for stitching.
Use a blanket stitch or whip stitch on the edges and sew around all three flower pieces.

After you have stitched the edges place the flower shapes in order small to large. You can choose to place them in the same direction or alternate directions as I did.

Center the stacked buttons on the flower and sew in place.
Turn your flower over and glue on a pin back.

You now have a Fun, Funky&Functional Flower Pin!
Come back for more 12 Days of Christmas and I'll show you another project and
how I used my flower pin.

6 comments:

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

Seed beads stitched along the edges of the flower would look so cool. I am not that adept with a needle or know how to do the stitches.

Unknown said...

How could one not be smiling when wearing your flower!!!
paula

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

Thank you Paula! I needed that today!

Beverly Herman said...

I love the pin and the button is perfect. Beaded surface embellishments would be a great finishing touch.

JenniferJangles said...

Love It! That is too cute. I just ordered some wool felt from Etsy, I think I will be making one of these.
Thanks for the great project Tari,
Jennifer

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

So fun and cute, wouldn't they be great on a ponytail holder or barrette for wearing in your hair?

Great project, love the colors! Thanks for sharing!