Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sun Clasp - free project!

You can discover our readers favorite wire tutorials by reading the comments from last week's post. But before you check that out here is a free project! You can find copper wire at your local hardwire store and create this eye-catching clasp for pennies.

Sun Clasp
Materials & Tools:
16 gauge copper wire, round & chain nose pliers, wire cutters, small anvil and ball peen hammer.

1. Cut 8" of wire. Create a wire spiral, turning the wire 6 times around the center with the flat nose pliers. Hammer the spiral flat and texture with the ball peen hammer. Push your thumb against the underside of the spiral to give it some dimension.
2. Make a loop at the end of the wire and turn it under the spiral.
3. Wire-wrap a loop at the other end, trim wire.
4. Cut 3" of wire, create a simple wire clasp, hammer and texture as in step one. (Tip: you can use a sharpie marker to create the large loop on the clasp.

7 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Brilliant shape! How cool is that? I will test that out with either my copper or dark anealed galvanized steel wire. Enjoy the day! Erin

Erin Siegel said...

Oooo...Pretty clasp! Love it!

rosebud101 said...

I love that closure. It's simple, yet exotic and full of texture!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Someone Upstairs is looking out for me! Thank you very much I cant wait! In fact this book is such a Blessing bc I just bought a 15 lb Anvil and a vice grip! Many Thank yous! x

Judy said...

Love the clasp...thanks for sharing. I will have to try that later.

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks so much for sharing. The clasp is really cool and sounds like a fun project to play with!

A Beaded Affair said...

What a wonderful idea. Wish I'd thought of it. I can't wait to get home and try it for myself.
Lois