Saturday, September 5, 2009

Studio Saturday - Anyone Gnome?

Welcome to Studio Saturday! Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive we offer a free prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard. The following week we choose a random winner.

Last week's winner is Terry Biz. Congratulations! You have won a Geisha Pendant from the studio of Creative Impressions in Clay. Send Tari an e-mail with your address and she will get it right out to you.

And now to the Humblebeads Studio...
Last night I had some unexpected free time and started making a few little acorn beads. I had made these last year for earrings, but decided I'd make some to sell as beads. I'm so ready for fall. I miss the leaves turning colors and crisp breezes. So of course I turn to my creative outlets for comfort. And while I was making the acorns a funny thing happened. They reminded me of gnome hats...

And before long, with a few trial and error experiments, these little guys had popped up. Why hello there little gnome. Does the world need a gnome bead? I'm not sure. Did I need to make one? Not desperately. But gnomes have been sitting on the fringes of my thoughts lately: there is a children's book coming out next year starring lawn ornaments and there was a cute Halloween costume for a baby that I thought would be funny for Jess. And so there you have it, with just the whim of an idea the beads have found their inspiration for this weekend.
And hey, you just can't make a gnome. I mean mushroom tops people. We need mushroom tops to match! I'm off to make a bracelet with a squirrel and rest of these woodland beads!

So as the last official weekend of summer is upon us, have you made the jump in your jewelry to fall designs? Maybe you have moved on already to winter or perhaps your work is not currently within the bounds of the seasons. I'd love to hear about it.

I'm feeling very generous, one lucky winner will receive a set of each of the new beads. Yep, one of each!

25 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

These are super cute Heather!

TesoriTrovati said...

That gnome looks a bit like Russ Troll bead!
Those are all too cute.
As for Fall, that tends to be my color palette all year long, so I don't limit myself...but I am excited for those rich colors of browns, russets, plums, golds. I am working on new pendants for a show in October that will be in those colors with all the wonderful metal choices. But mostly I am now into spring and summer designs for the future as well!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Katie said...

Those are SO cute! Love the little gnomes - make a necklace with one, and you could have your own "roaming gnome" to take with you...Or a bag tag (especially for one of my totes that always goes on trips with me...)...SO cute!

But, I don't know that I work with colors/ideas specific to any particular season...But, if I did (or do and don't realize it), I would have to say that I haven't switched yet...It's still too hot here in Houston to think about the fall (which only lasts about 5 minutes around here...)...

I just can't get over the gnome...Too cute :o)

Shai Williams said...

I really like the gnomes! I haven't started making fall necklaces.

mairedodd said...

these are so great! i love the acorns (and the gnomes & mushroom caps)! love tree references... yes, i have finally made the jump! it feels like i am giving birth after a very long labor today...

Alice said...

Sweet beads! We had an abormal spell of cool weather these past couple weeks, so I've already been in the mood for fall earlier than normal. I say that I don't make seasonal jewelry, but somehow it always ends up that I'm using earth-tones this time of year, and brights during the warmer months. I'm not big into pastels or holiday colors. I have noticed that people are pairing bright colors with brown and black for fall, so anything goes now. Yippee!

Gail W. said...

Those gnomes are adorable and kicky!Yes,my thoughts and beads have begun the fall season and I love it.My favorite time of year.I sure would like some mushrooms,acorns and a gnome to help me out.You're so full of surprises,Heather,and I just love these!

FrankandRox said...

sure, I think the world needs gnome beads. These new ones look very much the style of your illustrations which I think is great and charming. a mere 2 months before my Christmas craft fairs start, need to really get the nose to the grindstone. I try to remember to work in warm fall tones but I generally just go for whatever comes to mind

Metallo Bianco Jewelry said...

So cute!!

The Joy of Nesting said...

How adorable Heather!!

Our seasons here are basically dry and rainy. :) We will leave the rainy season in a month or so. The temp and humidity drop a bit. The dry season (fall winter)is also the tourist season and they are all wearing their sumer clothes and colors. The locals tend to move to light weight darker, fall colors. :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mexico

peacockfairy said...

No, I haven't jumped into Fall designs yet. But I hope to next week! These beads are too cute!

Azure Accessories said...

Great beads...I've actually started thinking about popular fall/winter colors!

Cheers

rosebud101 said...

Wow! I love those beads! That is a very generous prize!

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

If you left a comment for Heather and you don't see it here could you repost please. Technical issue...I clicked the wrong button. More Coffee!!

Unknown said...

The beads are So cute! I think a baby gnome would be too adorable on Halloween, or anytime for that matter.

Lisa Crone said...

Oh so cute! You really captured the sweet side of friendly little gnomes. They can get a little wiley sometimes, but these guys look sweet and helpful! :)

Rachael Beavers said...

I absolutely love these beads, the gnome is my fave but they are all adorable! Keep up the great work.

TesoriTrovati said...

Heather-
I just showed these cute beads to Olivia and she say, "Man, these are cute!"
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Diana P. said...

The gnome is just too cute!

I do tend to change my palette for each of the seasons although I still might make a pink necklace in fall if the inspiration strikes.

SueBeads said...

Fall beads, yep! Love your new beads!

Jen Judd said...

These are great! I have had a yard full of big mushrooms lately, because of all the rain, so I may have some little gnomes out there hiding. :)

I've been into fall colors for a while...it's hard to get ready for any sort of October shows without thinking of orange and lovely turning maple leaves.

Enjoy!

Mel Mel said...

These are to cute for words. Makes me want to hide out in the forrest among the fairie folk.

Pamela said...

It is hard to decide just what season you should prepare for with all the wonderful weather we have been having in Missouri!! I design by what colors and textures are around me at the time. I am ready for the trees to start their show, the colors of the mums and the pink of the sedums. Maybe I am ready for fall designing!!!

Unknown said...

The world definitely needs gnome beads, especially ones that cute!

Autumn is my favorite time of year, and I can feel my creative energy picking up now that the weather is turning. I've got a collection of realy neat carved bone spacers that I'm thinking of using in something spooky for Halloween. And, of course, I've got fall colors on the brain, and ideas for copper and bronze wire to go with those autumnal oranges and reds.

Janet Henry said...

I am grabbing the last days of summer, well Fall , working out in my garden, as soon as it it gets too wet or cold I'll be back in my studio making garden art for next spring. Helps me stay away the winter blues. Love the gnome beads , I think I've seen that little guy in my garden ????