Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 2013 Challenge Palette


This month's challenge artwork is a lovely painting from Claude Monet. I'm partial to Monet's work, as he's the first artist I actually studied in my high school painting class. I love the Impressionist movement for being so radically different from everything that came before, not just in subjects, but in style, too. The carefree dabs of paint, the freedom of capturing a moment versus a specific person or icon - it definitely left an impression on me (bad pun aside).

What I love so much about this particular painting is that it so perfectly mimics spring where I live. Right around now, bluebonnets and wildflowers are blooming on the roadside, and tender leaves are unfurling on the trees. On a nice day, you might see people knee-deep among the flowers, taking photos and enjoying the scenery. So, this painting is very much a scene I see every spring.

As you pull color inspiration for your challenge pieces, I think the most important colors to include would be the lighter, yellower greens and the sky blues. If those shades of oranges aren't your favorite, try more of a peach shade instead. And the light grays are a great neutral to include, because pretty much every color looks good against gray.

What colors do you plan on using this month? What colors say "spring" to you?


8 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

That green just jumps out and bites me it is so fresh! I can feel the movement of the wind pushing the clouds across the sky. The little dabs of tangerine are a great balance to all the green. And I am drawn to the deep purply blue in the cypress tree along with the gray. Great choices this month Miss Brandi! Enjoy the day. Erin

Must Create said...

This makes me so homesick for the Northeast. I'm now in AZ. and oh how I miss these colors. The beautiful palate of greens and a real spring sky. jude

Jess Green said...

Green, purple, orange, more green and more purple - I think this might be the month I jump in on the ABS monthly challenge :)

Honey from the Bee said...

So pretty... I wish I was going to be able to participate this month! Next for sure!

AntiquityTravelers said...

Oh you had me at "Hello" on this one!

Purple Fish Studio said...

This is such a beautiful painting - and what great colors to work with.

baymoondesign said...

I am really excited about this month's challenge. I love the painting. The colors are wonderful. I love nature.

I have been waiting for Brandi's post before starting. I am becoming dependent on color palettes to jump start by beading. I guess that is a good thing!

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

What an inspiring palette! These colors and a bit of added pink and purple too from my garden. My husband often comments how much green and purple are in my garden. Heh-Heh-Heh... I guess there are colors and textures of plants I am drawn too. Must make a conscious decision to buy some annuals with pops of yellow and orange :)

Beautiful Brandi!