Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Fundraising with Art Beads

One thing I am certain of, is the internet has exposed me to wonderful things and terrible things.  I am an avid Facebook user, both for personal and business reasons and spend an hour or more every day reading about family and friends adventures, the latest in beads, jewelry and what's trending.  Every now and then, a story, video or news article will be on my wall and I know I should keep scrolling, but I don't.  I read it or watch it and the horror of abuse sticks in my head and heart for days, weeks and longer.

The abuse I am referring to is with animals - usually dogs and cats that are victims of heartless individuals and abuse as well as the over population shelters are dealing with.  Dogs and cats are discarded like garbage and it hurts me to the core.  Over and over again I was seeing this - until I decided I had to do something about it.  I can't foster because I could never give them up.  I can't volunteer because I would become a foster and we know how that ends.  Plus my free time is very limited due my bead production schedule.  What I can do is make a ceramic paw print pendant with bead, crystal and metal bead accent, wire wrap it all together, put it on a chain and sell 100 of them to benefit animal rescues over the US.  And that's just what I did!

I put my idea on my personal page and I had all 100 claimed within 3 days time.  It's awesome!  I asked my friends to recommend rescues that they know about that are doing good works in local communities.  I narrowed it down to ten and they will each receive $150 after all the funds are collected.  Has this been a lot of work?  Yes.  Will I do it again?  Yes.  If we can all help a little, a lot can be accomplished!

Thanks to everyone that participated!  Michelle McCarthy, Firefly Design Studio

6 comments:

Sarajo Wentling said...

What an amazing and inspirational project!

baymoondesign said...

Great idea for a good cause!

Bijoux Gems Joy said...

So glad to hear it was such a success Michelle. Thanks for inspiring others
Mona

bairozan said...

What an honorable thing to do! Congratulations on completing the mission!

Feeriee13 said...

I love animals, I have 2 dogs and a kitty, all rescues ~ animals are so sweet and so innocent, I wish I could rescue all of them! You did such an amazing, inspiring job, your work is so beautiful!!

Stay inspired!

Laura xoxo

Firefly Design Studio said...

Thanks so much, everyone for the wonderful compliments! It feels good to help :)