Thursday, December 4, 2008

Book Review - The Art of Bead Embroidery

The Art of Bead Embroidery: Techniques, Designs & Inspirations by Heidi Kummli and Sherry Serafini.

Have you seen complex bead embroidered jewelry and wish you could learn how to bead like that? The Art of Bead Embroidery is an in depth how-to book covering everything you need to know to bead embroider.

This book has a unique approach of showcasing two different designers who both share their tips and secrets for the bead embroidery they create. They cover materials, stitches and finishing techniques.

The designers showcase what inspires them in the elements of design. They share photos and thoughts on texture, inspiration, color and more. This happens to be my favorite part of the book! Projects range from beginner to advanced. If you can sew a button, you can bead embroider. Some of the projects that caught my eye were a cuff bracelet featuring a cabochon from Earthenwood Studios and beading around filigree, something I hadn't seen before. Many of the projects feature art beads, which always make us happy here at the Art Bead Scene.



The Queen of Denial, a bead embroidered pendant by Beverly Herman featuring a cabochon from Earthenwood Studio. (This is an example of bead embroidery from one of our readers, it's not featured in the book.)

2 comments:

Rosanne said...

I have that book and I love it!
And I've seen the Queen and she's a beauty. Beverly is very talented at embroidering and she's taught me a lot.

Anonymous said...

I learned bead embroidery this year and my teacher Caran Sickle used the book for inspiration and as an illustration of what you can aspire too. Also the owner of the shop(Keep me in Stitches) she teaches at, Robin, made the most beautiful bracelet from Tari's Persephone button. She does amazing bead embroidery.
So this book is definitly on my Xmas wish list.

Paula Lee