Saturday, June 30, 2012

Studio Saturday: Humblebeads

Welcome to Studio Saturday! Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive we offer a free prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard. The following week we choose a random winner
This weeks winner is GreyCatGlass. Congratulations! You have won an urchin bead from Heather Powers.  Send Heather an email with your address and she will get them right out to you.
Welcome back to the Humblebeads Studio.

Well today I'm feeling a little obessed with retro camping style thanks to seeing Moonrise Kingdom yesterday. Think of how many kids are introduced to beads during camp each year.  I did my share of stringing wooden beads on cord, braiding friendship bracelets and all manner of leather crafts during camp visits.

Suzy & Sam from Wes Anderson's new movie - Moonrise Kindgom 

I mean, just look at the color palette in this scene: green, khaki, orange, yellow, pink, teal and red.  I'm so loving the fun, playful and retro vibe and feel totally inspired.  I would love to create some camp-inspired charms from some of my sketches.

Or some jewelry using my woodland-inspired beads pictured above.  From acorns and squirrels, to birch log beads, to owls and mushroom charms I have plenty of woodland punch.  Now to add in a few camp themed charms, wood beads and cord and it's instant camp themed pendants - fun and funky for summer!

Pine Trees: OnionBagel. Binoculars: OverstockOutlet. Compass: IngredientsForLovely. Wood Beads: JuanitasCrafters.  Yellow Faceted Wood Beads: LikeBeads8.  Retro Painted Wood Beads: ByRobertaSupplies. Yellow Suede: Nature Beads.  Brown Leather Cord: SkullSupply. Blue Waxed Cotton Cord: Nature Beads.

This week's question: what book or movie has inspired a jewelry creation?  
Share a link with a photo if it's online - I'd love to see it!  
One lucky winner will snag a Birch Log bead shown in the first photo.

P.S. Use discount code HappyCamper for 10% off at Humblebeads.etsy.com from now until Monday, 7/2.  

9 comments:

Empty nester at last said...

These are so inspiring. To purchase within our group. I am looking for the little metal tags you can have your "brand" put on, so that you can put it on your jewelry. Does anyone do that? Thanks.

Unknown said...

I was so inspired by The Great Gatsby that I created an entire collection of 1920's party themed jewelry. Some are for sale at attorneyangelalund.etsy.com. Some have sold so my entire collection, with more pieces coming, can be see on my jewelry fb page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.329566893740533.81551.137115006319057&type=3

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

No I can't say that I have ever been inspired by a movie but for Erin's book challenge I was inspired by the book Say Goodnight Gracie.
I don't get time to read or watch tv or movies with having a 3 year old, owning and working at my alon and making jewelry I keep busy with business books and webinars :-)

Marlene Brady said...

Here is the link to the photo that Avatar inspired:http://itsallaboutcreating.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-day.html

I had so much fun at that movie! I was full of energy and completed a successful day in my studio. Crazy.

Thanks for the opportunity to win an art bead. I am working on some nature inspired polymer pieces and it would be perfect! -Marlene arteveryday@msn.com

Erin S said...

I did a necklace based on "Beetlejuice". It was black, white and gray matte glass beads--very funky.

KayzKreationz said...

I haven't really been inspired by a book or movie yet, although I was inspired by a sign/saying I saw recently. I'm trying to come up with something that I think would fit it. Will try to show it, when I get it accomplished.

stacilouise said...

Ever Since I started watching Game of Thrones (a show, based on books, not a movie) my jewelry seems very tribal- fit for a Khaleesi!

Catherine Sorensen said...

As far as I can remember, I haven't specifically done anything from a book or movie although I have lots of petite, feminine jewelry that would fit right into Jane Austen's time period {Regency}

Shel said...

I was inspired by the movie Dark Shadows recently. I used to watch the soap opera with my mom and my cousins as a toddler - not the best for a little one as it was pretty scary in those times! LOL!! But with all the vampire and other worldly creature movies and series out right now, I just couldn't help myself!