Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Künstliche Perlen

Perlen. What a beautiful word. Synonymous with pearls, Perlen means beads in German. I love how elegant it sounds; to describe all beads as pearls! And art beads I believe would be Kunst Perlen. As a classical singer, I often sing in languages foreign to me, and I find German my favourite language to sing in - above and beyond even English. I speak a little, am certainly not fluent, but I find the vowels and consonants - the music of the language - very beautiful and expressive, especially in song. I have only visited Germany once properly and I would love to return there someday.

I have found a selection of beautiful beads from German bead artists and I thought I'd share them here in this treasury.

'German Art Beads' by songbead

A selection of finds from bead artists based in Germany.


RED SUCKEROO - Lampwork Bead...
$17.00

8 Fimo polymer clay beads. F...
$13.00

8 bigger Spacer Beads - Hand...
$7.84

Glass Lampwork Round Bead Se...
$37.50

Melanie Moertel Lampwork Bea...
$95.00

MICHOU - Lampwork Beads - Kn...
$149.00

AV-Beads handmade Lampwork S...
$65.90

5 Gold Leaves Head Pins Set,...
$8.00

14 handmade lampwork beads
$21.00

17 handmade lampwork beads -...
$155.00

lampwork, handmade - faux b...
$35.00

AV-Beads handmade Lampwork F...
$17.95

lampwork, handmade - ROT-ME...
$24.00

GlassBonBon Colorstorm Heart...
$72.00

9ps Handmade Beads from poly...
$16.00

Melanie Moertel Lampwork Bea...
$140.00

One thing that emerged whilst I was browsing through etsy's pages of German bead artists, was that there seems to be a definite German style of lampworking - fine stringer work, often in black, with vivid and joyful colour schemes. I have included some contrasting work here (including some lovely polymer work) but can you see it too? It reminded me somewhat of the Austrian artist Hundertwasser. Do take a peek here at his colourful and inspiring work! Hundertwasser is one of my very favourite artitists; his use of shape, colour and texture I find terribly inspiring. 

Do you live in Germany? Do you make art beads? Do leave a comment! We love to hear about bead artists living all over the world!

Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer and singer, currently living in Manchester, England. You can read more about beads and singing at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com.

8 comments:

Alice Howe said...

Thank you for introducing me to Hundertwasser. I love his work and will enjoy studying it. Thanks again.

Alice

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful things from Beautiful Germany! I agree with you...the language is by far the best...and the most fun to speak!

Love those leaves :)

Unknown said...

....I am German and I never would have thought someone would prefer to sing in German versus English!!!
I like the beads you have selected, but I think I would not translate art beads as Kunstperlen, it has a slightly funny conotation. It "sounds" a bit like plastic beads, which would be "Kunststoffperlen" or artifical beads - "künstliche Perlen". I would call art beads Künstlerperlen (artists´ beads)
The word Kunstperlen is correct in itself, but the "feel" is not.

Sabine Dittrich said...

I am a lampworker from Germany, living in the wonderful South Bavaria. :-)
I am so much in love with fire and glass! There is nothing comparable to this creative process.
There really are many great German bead artists who show the wide range of possibilities using this awesome material.
And there also are many in Austria, Switzerland and so on. ;-)
Why don't you have a look at "www.beadclub.de" - our German lampworker's forum.
I would of course be happy about your visit on my blog, too. ;-)
www.perlendschungel.blogspot.com
Thank you for showing our German Glass World! :-)))
Sabine

Tania Tebbit said...

Thankyou Rebecca for compiling the artists all together - now I will be engrossed on etsy for hours.

GlassBeadArt said...

I am a lampworker from Luxembourg, a small country just beside Germany, but my husband is German, so does this qualify me for posting ? ;-))
You did a great job compiling all these artists, I never knew we were so many lampworkers from Europe selling on etsy!

Saraccino said...

I am from germany and creating beads and all kind of jewelery with polymer clay (although I am tempting to try to work with glas :)).

I love your selection of art beads! :)

Anonymous said...

You've featured some nice work there, I've got to have a look around those shops...

Funny though, I'm German and I sing, too, but I have never heard anyone say that my language was the best (or even nice) to sing in. Latin, Italian, even English, but German? I've heard people say that German sounds harsh and angry. I mostly sing in English myself, and I like it a lot better for that than my own language. German does have some nice words, though. As for beads, I make polymer clay art beads myself, and I've always liked that the english language provided me with a means to *differentiate* between beads and pearls...