Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In A Tree Necklace - Free Project


In a Tree
Erin Siegel

Here's an easy way to use silk ribbons to highlight a handmade pendant. The texture of the silk fibers add interest to this monochromatic necklace and draw the eye to the focal piece.
Materials
48 green aventurine 6mm rounds
2 antique copper fold-over cord ends
2 antique copper 2mm crimp tubes
2 antique copper 4mm jump rings
1 antique copper 6mm jump ring
1 antique copper 19x15mm toggle clasp
1 antique copper 15x19mm leaf charm
1 green 36mm “bird on a branch” two-hole porcelain pendant
5” of emerald green ¾” dupioni silk ribbon
5” of light sage 2mm silk cord
6” of antiqued copper 20 gauge wire
18” of copper .019 beading wire

Tools
Pair of chain nose pliers
Round nose pliers
Crimping pliers
Cutters

Finished size: 18 ¼”

1: Use the 20 gauge wire to form a double wrapped bail that attaches to the top hole in the pendant. Use the 6mm jump ring to attach the leaf charm to the bottom hole of the pendant. Set aside.
2: Lay the 2mm silk cord on top of the dupioni silk. *Place the two ribbons inside 1 cord end and close.* Use both ribbons to to string the pendant’s bail to the middle of the ribbon section. Repeat from *to*. Fray the edges of the dupioni silk.
3: Use the beading wire to string 1 crimp tube and the loop of 1 cord end. Pass back through the tube and crimp. String all the green aventurines, 1 crimp tube and one half of the clasp. Pass back through the tube and crimp.
4: Link the two 4mm jump rings together. Attach one to the free cord end and 1 to the other half of the clasp.

Resources:
Ceramic pendant:Round Rabbit Extra, Dupioni silk and cord ends: Ornamentea.com, 2mm silk: Marsha Neal Studio, leaf charm: Artbeads.com, All other materials: Fire Mountain Gems.

Erin Siegel is a jewelry designer, beading instructor and co-author of the jewelry book, Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry: 50 Designs Using Leather, Ribbon and Cords. To find out more, visit her blog, Erin Siegel Jewelry

5 comments:

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

What a fresh take on a easy little necklace! I have never worked with ribbons but this is so cute I must try it. I love the leafy effect. Thanks for the inspiration, Erin.

I have admired Round Rabbit for a long time and finally received my first order of Nancy's porcelain this week. Normally I hoard and admire my new artbeads for a long time first, but almost as soon as I opened her package I was moved to make one pendant into a necklace, incorporating large Czech seed beads and some lampwork (that I was hoarding, naturally LOL). Finally listening to my muse, I guess!

Tania Tebbit said...

love the pendant

Catherine Sorensen said...

Oh, how lovely! It's very much something my sister would wear, aside from the fact it's also in her favorite color!

I love the book & can't wait to experiment with my cords!

Designer Necklaces said...

I love this look! I worked for years with fabric before trying jewelry design. I never considered using cloth IN my jewelry until recently. Your designs are inspirational!

Gary Ardill said...

This is a good necklace and everyone who want to show his love for nature should wear it. I like it.

Diamond Dealers