Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Embellish yourself!

In my email box a couple of days ago Beading Daily.com exhibited a cute way to use an art bead. They used a pumpkin bead from our own Melanie of Earthenwood Studios as a zipper pull. The article continued with some great advice: "If you don't celebrate Halloween, this is an easy project to modify with the beads of your choice. And for those of you lucky enough to live in tropical places that don't require anything warmer than a T-shirt, consider adding some sparkle to your purse, shoes, or anything else with a zipper."

Their recommendation of attaching the beads with a lobster claw is a great idea. Quick to switch out with other beads for special occasions and easy removal for laundering.

That got me inspired and here are my creations:

dragon flies on flat oval pendant

lentil on my daughter's shoes

dove pendant on my shoe

cone with left over chain mixture

The pictures didn't turn out very clear, but after over an hour of messing with the camera and computer I GIVE UP!!! So if you have any questions about the details, just let me know. Post a comment with your links to pictures of your own embellishments featuring art beads. - Thanks!

8 comments:

Heather Powers said...

the shoes are so clever! what a great idea. hmmm, what I can add beads too...

melanie brooks said...

Great ideas Elaine! Embellishing shoes is a great way to give them (and you) a little pick me up without having to go out ans spend money on new ones.

Thanks for the ideas!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful ideas! I can't wait to try some of these. It's a great way to show off those beads/pendants that I haven't had a chance to make into necklaces.

Anonymous said...

Elaine: You have totally saved me and my so ugly but yet so comfortable Crocs from complete boredom. I knew those holes were there for some purpose. I immediately stuck on three Elaine Ray goodies with black leather and now I got the flashiest Crocs in town.

Elaine Ray said...

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Given the price of gas it seems we are all having to "tighten our belts" - or at least our shoe buckles.... Embellishing is a quick and cost effective way to give an old stand by a new look. Send us links to your embellishing ways!

Elaine Ray said...

Look here at the great link Shelley Nybakke, owner of "The Bead Parlor" in Bloomington, Illinois sent us: http://www.thebeadparlor.com/news.htm

Elaine Ray said...

No additional comment right now, I just wanted to get on the email follow up so I don't miss any links to some great embellishing!

melanie brooks said...

great ideas, everyone! I love what Shelley did to her crocs!