Friday, January 14, 2011

Color of the Year: Honeysuckle

Pantone has picked Honeysuckle as the 2011 Color of the Year.  They state, "Honeysuckle emboldens us to face everyday troubles with verve and vigor. A dynamic reddish pink, Honeysuckle is encouraging and uplifting. It elevates our psyche beyond escape, instilling the confidence, courage and spirit to meet the exhaustive challenges that have become part of everyday life."

What can I say, who knew the power of color could be so, um powerful.  Need a shot of elevating, confidence-instilling pink in your creations but really not a 'pink' kind of gal?  Let me break it down into a few manageable color palettes and show you how I have added in some of this potent honeysuckle to my designs.

dream2
First up, a sugary sweet mix of honeysuckle and teal are tempered by neutrals with the brown lotus pod beads and matte silver components.  Even though pink is the dominant color, the intensity of the teal takes away some of it's thunder, offering more of a Spring color scheme rather than screaming "I'm wearing a pink heart!".

Diane Hawkey pendant, Humblebeads disk beads and egg.

lantern2
This design uses the honeysuckle as an accent to the navy, melon and cream palette.  The pink rhodonite beads are combined with peach aventurine and gunmetal findings. 

The flower connectors are Arte Metal from Vintaj.  The pendant is from Gaea and the navy blue disk beads are Humblebeads.

The pink beads above, left to right: Jubilee, Spirited Earth, Humblebeads, Diane Hawkey and Lynn Davis.

Want more color inspiration? Check out Kuler where you can find color palettes based on honeysuckle and create your own.  Warning - don't click this link unless you have time to spare, it's too much fun!

9 comments:

Malin de Koning said...

Very nice indeed. I like that colour. The beads in the top picture look great. And your necklaces too.

TesoriTrovati said...

As far as pink goes, I do like Honeysuckle and your takes on this palette thing are marvelous. Thanks for the inspiration!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Alice said...

Awww, you make it look so easy to incorporate this bold color into our creations. I like the color, but only in small doses.

Anonymous said...

noneysuckle, what a name for a color ;)
i like this color . . . a typ of corall-variation,(kalypso has it inside ;)
hugs and greets
guido

Unknown said...

Wonderful beads they are so pretty! A feast for the eyes.

lynsey said...

I 'm not normally a 'pink' girl, but i love this colour, i've been thinking of some designs for which i can incorperate it, i think it will sit perfectly with the blue curacao colour they have picked out as well

I LOVE color! said...

This blog is sooo amazing. I was just thinking yesterday I wish what the 2011 color is going to be. This color is diffantly
1955'ish color when we used charco and gray with it. Now I am telling on myself smiles
Be blessed
SandysColoringBox.blogspot.com

Rose said...

Love-love-love Honeysuckle paired with orange. One of my favorite pairs. Honeysuckle, salmon, grey and charcoal pretty much rock as a group too.

Pretty Things said...

(Psst. Heather. I want ALL those beads in the first photo.)