Monday, December 7, 2015

Amuse the Muse - Tiny Beads! - with Rebecca of Songbead

Happy December everyone! Have you eaten all the chocolates from your advent calendar yet? Or are you celebrating the 2nd day of Chanukah today? Enjoying the build to the Winter Solstice? Or something else entirely? Perhaps you're just beading up a storm with lots of holiday fairs! I know that has been me for the past month...but I had my last fair yesterday and now I can (hopefully!) relax a little for the remainder of the month. Time to rest and dream a little, perhaps about what 2016 has in store for Songbead....

Whatever you're doing right now, it's a new month and it's time for a new theme. I did consider doing a whole month of headpins (you KNOW I'm going to be doing that one month in 2016!), or Pantone's new Colours of the Year (Rose Quartz and Serenity, in case you've missed them) but the headpins I'm saving for a rainy day, and Pantone's colour leave me a little cold, so I decided to share something I adore - tiny beads. 

What is it about teeny, tiny beads? I'm not really sure. But I think it's connected to my love of beads themselves - one of the things I adore about beads in the first place is their size. (I'm not the only member of the Art Bead Scene Team who loves the small ones!) I'm one of those people who frequently forgets to look to closely at sizings when ordering beads - either that, or I just imagine things incorrectly. I've got to admit to being secretly thrilled 90% of the time when something is smaller than I initially imagined! There's something so wonderful about a piece of artwork that is absolutely tiny, I can't get enough of them. I've recently switched from making my handwoven beads mainly in size 11 seed beads (2mm) to size 15 seed beads (1mm).  You can see examples of these here:


The Burgundy (or Marsala - have you forgotten her already?) bead is handwoven with size 11s, and the lavender bead in size 15s. Quite some difference! 

Here are some of the teeny tiny art beads I found to share with you today. Leave links to your favourite tiny beads in the comments below! 







And now for the BeadBlogger Links. Have a great week everyone!








Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer; currently living in the capital city of Edinburgh. You can read more about her and her work at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com. She also has a supplies shop at thecuriousbeadshop.etsy.com.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's amazing to see the difference in your two sizes of woven beads! Both are beautiful and they look wonderful together in your bracelet. I love marsala now, but I didn't at first. I'm trying to keep an open mind about rose quartz and serenity; maybe the same thing will happen! I have to admit that I do not have the ability to understand bead sizes without seeing them in person. It doesn't matter if I see the mm, see a picture in a hand, next to coins, whatever. I'm almost always surprised. But I buy the beads because I love them, not for a specific design. So they always come in handy at some point.

Holly Loves Art said...

Soooo pretty! Love those itty bitty dog bones.

Linda - Earthshine.co.uk said...

It's funny, I remember reading before about you liking tiny beads. I've made them in the past but never put them for sale because I thought they were too small!