Thursday, August 13, 2009

Findings Worth Finding-From a Re-use Store


I just spent the day scouring the re-use stores in my town. I found all sorts of interesting objects for using in my jewelry. I wanted to share with you my findings and maybe inspire you to go hunting for you next design elements in an unlikely place.

I am sure everyone has taken apart vintage jewelry for reusing in a new piece of jewelry. I wasn't out to find old jewelry, even though I did find some. I was after odd bits of junk.

I found all sorts of round rings, most of them were washers and small wheel parts, and some I have no idea what they were previously. But now they will become rings in a necklace. Don't you love the rust and worn finish?

I also found some games. These pieces can be drilled very easily, even the dice. They will become beads. Are you seeing the possibilities here? I am going to save the score cards and game boards for some mixed media projects, they make great backgrounds.



Are you looking at that big red ring and wondering, what the heck is that? Look closely and you will see it is a ring from the top of a set of curtains. I thought it would be super cool as a pendant with an art bead hanging from the center. I really like that it has been used and shows the wear.

I hope I have inspired you to go searching for your next components in an unlikely place.
Happy Beading!
Jennifer
Jangles

8 comments:

Jeannie said...

How clever. I love all your finds. You have a good eye and imagination.

TesoriTrovati said...

Super fun! THat is the sort of element that I look for all the time for my jewelry...although I prefer the things that already have a hole in them because I am not gifted with tools (physically or figuratively!) THanks for the inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

rosebud101 said...

I love the way you are able to see outside the box, so to speak! I can look at the same things, and not see the possibilities. I really have to learn to look at things in a new way. Thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

These are great ideas and i just bought a pack of washers yesterday!
Some of your finding give me inspiration!
Hugs xx
Pat

Paula Lee MIchalowski said...

Wow, great finds! It's great when you can see the possibilities in 'junk'.

I have a place near me called Materials Resource Center which is back to back with Restore, Habitat for Humanity's reuse store. Between the two I have found great jewelry findings and fabric and paper and even storage for my beads!

These stores are a wonderful resource and are good if you want to be green as they say. I also have donated to them so its a win - win for all.

Happy Hunting!
Paula Lee

Lori Citsay said...

Really bold and beautiful!

Alice said...

It must have been a lot of fun to browse the re-use stores. We don't have anything like that around here, but even if we did I don't seem to have the same insight that you do.

Great pieces!
Alice

Cynthia said...

You have some very clever ideas. I love incorporating old sewing notions into my jewelry. My favorite is old plastic buckles. I'll have to take a look at my husband's tool bench!!