Friday, February 19, 2010

Getting Readers to Your Blog

I very recently reached 300 readers on my blog, and it was a heart-warming, humbling thing to see that number. It didn't come from just sitting and waiting, though -- I've walked around the blogosphere a bit to get my face out there.

So how do you get more traffic to your own blog?


First, show readers what you're all about. If you have a shop, list it on your blog. If you're on Etsy and your blog allows for a mini-Etsy of your shop, set it up. It will show people at a glance what you do and get you click-throughs. I always check out people's stores out of curiosity, no matter what you sell, and I remember bloggers by their products. I also spend a lot of money that way, but that's another story entirely!


If you don't sell on Etsy or a similar venue, make a button on your blog that is clickable to your store. An example is on my own blog. I created an image with a picture of my jewelry and my company name and linked it to my own web site. I did the same thing for the other blog I write.

If you like to write a chatty blog (like I do!), put a signature line at the bottom that includes your web site address. An example of that can be seen by clicking here.

Use pictures! Too many words with no break tend to make a person's eyes glaze over. Have a Wordless Wednesday, or if you're stumped one day, list photos with short captions, like this (click here).


Write often. How often is up to you, but at least two or three times a week is a good rule of thumb. Once you develop a following, they'll come back to your blog and expect to see new content. If weeks go by with nothing new, they'll forget about you and go for other bloggers. Grab a notebook and write up some ideas for those days when your brain just does NOT want to work.. Take random photos. You can always post an eye candy day -- your jewelry or beads! Or post beautiful photos of things that inspire you.



Interview other bloggers. Not only is it a great way to help a fellow artist get their product out in the public eye, but it will get their readers to come over to your blog. Perhaps arrange with the other shop for a giveaway, or agree that they will interview you at a later date. Here's an example of a shop interview (click here).

(Hey MieMie on Etsy)

Finally, visit other blogs and leave comments. Most bloggers will take the time to visit the blogs of those who have commented on their own blogs, and if they like what they see, may become followers of your writing. Keep track of your favorite blogs via RSS Feed or by using a reader, such as Google Reader. See who else is commenting on your favorite blogs, and check out their blogs. Before long, you'll have a network of blogs you love to read and readers who love your blog.


Written by guest contributor Lori Anderson, http://www.prettythingsblog.com/.

28 comments:

Barbara Lewis said...

Good info, Lori, and so many pictures of beautiful work!

Marie said...

Good advice Lori! I've just found out how to have clickable links in the comments section, cool eh!

Jen Judd said...

Thanks, Lori. Great post!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Thanks for the information. This will come in so handy for me because I am trying to do more on my blog. Love your work!

LynFoley said...

Great suggestions! Thanks to you I'm following up on some of them already. Love the photos.

TesoriTrovati said...

You forgot "host an international bead soup swap"!!! You have a great blog(s) Lori and we can all take a page from your tips!
I would definitely agree with leaving comments...I know it takes time, but leaving insightful comments is the way to carry on the conversation and have others connect with you. I can't tell you the number of times that I have left a comment on a blog, someone read my comment and came over or even emailed me to start that conversation. They then become followers. I make it a goal every day to read and comment on a new blog...I love the lists of inspiring blogs people post and have found some fascinating ones that way.
Thanks for sharing your inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your suggestions. I could use any help at this point...but I am learning. Love the photos as well.

Pretty Things said...

Thanks, everyone -- I love to read and blogs to me are like book clubs, art salons, the corner bar, and the best friend's group all mixed into one!

Unknown said...

Great Post Lori! Its getting Out there and doing doing doing and not giving up! Trying to make one self visible takes time...thank~you!

HeyMiemie said...

Hi Lori

Thank you for the blogging tips - and the free advertising ;-) You're a star!

Tina-Maire
HeyMiemie

Joyce, Bead Bee said...

Lori,
I agree with all your points, especially the one about using photos. As a creative person, I am very visual, so photos are very appealing when I read blogs. Also, like me, you blog about what you are truly passionate about and the quality of the content reflects this. Thank you, Joyce

Kella said...

Great info as always I really need to up my blogging per week but a busy family life has been eating up my blooging time of late.

By the way how do you make a clickable link in the comments? I have been trying to master that for quite some time now.

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

Very good advice!

♥ Maria-Thérèse blog.afiori.com

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

How to make a clickable link:

< a href="http://the url you want to link to without spaces ">What the link will look like to others< / a>

(remove all spaces except the one before "href").

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Great advise!

Cindy said...

All great tips, Lori! We have a lot to learn from such a successful and interesting Blogger such as yourself!

Regina said...

Great suggestions for new kids on the block, like me. The challenge is posting often. Thanks Lori.

Loretta said...

That was great info, Lori. Thanks.

Dee said...

great article Lori!! Lots of helpful information.

elisa said...

Thanks Lori!

cleobytheseao said...

Lori, Lori, Lori - forget New York - so good I've named you thrice! Great post I had to include it in my 'Posts Of The Week.'
You're absolutely right of course, you only get out what you put in.
Loving your work as always.

Claycass said...

Thank you for all the great advice.

Laurie said...

All good, solid suggestions. I'm going to try out that signature line thing!

Boston Baked Beads said...

I'm new to the blogger world - writing my own I should say, I've been addicted to reading others' for years! Thanks for the great tips on getting potential readers to your blog - at the moment, I've got one follower - a good loyal friend - 785 followers, that's impressive!!

Unknown said...

Nice post, Lori. I love your blog!

Rose said...

I'm new to the blog world and really found your post helpful! Thank you and your work is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Great advise that I am going to utilize. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Trying to get readers to my new blog. Good advise. Thank you.