Friday, July 22, 2011

Findings Worth Finding: Russian Goldplate Filigree



The awesome Brenda Sue from B'Sue Boutiques sent me a sample collection of Russian Goldplate filigree to experiment with while I'm exploring vintage jewelry and Miriam Haskell inspired designs.  I love the color and finish so much I wanted to share it with because it's something I would have overlooked shopping online.

The finish has a beautiful satin quality, a little on the matte side.  The color is rich and complex.  I could see it mixed and layered with darker brass findings to update the vintage look.  I also like the idea of using art beads that have a matte finish like the Humblebeads and Vintage Meadow pieces shown. Add some contrast with glass, crystals or stones.

About Russian Goldplating:

"Russian Goldplating is a *specialty finish* exclusive at B'Sue Boutiques that is the closest thing you will ever find to the rich look of Victorian rolled-gold plate, or the unique look of Miriam Haskell-style findings.

The finish that was applied to the Haskell-style findings was a secret. It is no longer used in the plating trade. We rejoiced to find that our muted 18K gold based plating bath with its honey-sepia-cinnamon antique is so near in appearance to the old vintage findings that it can only be told apart, side to side, nuance by nuance."

6 comments:

Lupe Meter said...

Thanks for sharing this...just ordered a few to try this out!

lynsey said...

Wow they really are lovely, i adore that satin finish on gold, there is something slightly regal about it.

Malin de Koning said...

Yes, thank you for sharing!

Alice said...

Well I thought I would only like filligree in the antiqued brass, but this is lovely! I need to order some--and soon!

B'sue said...

Thanks for the kind words, Heather. Of all the finishes, Russian Goldplate is precious to me because it was a finish that was virtually lost. Most of us are into the darker finishes these days...me, too! But a good quality authentic vintage goldplate is something that's always a welcome addition to any workshop.

Grace @ Rivkasmom said...

Watch out, this finish is like CRACK! Once you get started with it, you won't want to use anything else. It costs more than brass ox, but the luster is absolutely worth it.