Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fit to Print -- "Handcrafted Wire Findings" by Denise Peck and Jane Dickerson


One of the things I love about making my own jewelry is finding beautiful clasps and links.  Lately, I've been pulling out my hammer and my bench block and spools of wire and experimenting with making my own findings, so this book came at an opportune time.

This is a book that should become a staple on your shelf.  It covers tons of basics and lots of techniques that can be used day after day in virtually anything you make.  I LOVE knowing what gauge AND how long to cut my wire before muddling around trying to figure things out -- this book has saved me a lot of time and angst.

You'll find simple projects that only require the usual jewelers pliers to projects that require a small butane torch for fusing.  Yes, there's some fire involved, but no, they aren't difficult -- they're wonderfully accessible and once you try one, you'll be off like a shot.

My suggestion -- before trying anything in sterling silver, try several times in copper.  That way, you'll feel confident when you move to the more expensive wire. 

Absolutely check this book out!  Published by Interweave, you can find it in the Interweave.com store, Amazon.com, and other book sellers.

Lori Anderson writes the blog Pretty Things and creates jewelry for her web site, Lori Anderson Designs.  She is also the creator of the Bead Soup Blog Party.  

9 comments:

Alice said...

What a great book! I took a metalsmithing class from Stephanie Lee, but wasn't able to do much with it since my mom was sick. This looks like a great book to get me back into working with metal.

There are so many good books that I have on my wish list, and now I'm adding this one.

Thanks for sharing!

Heidi Post said...

Looks like a good book. I'll add it to my wishlist :)

somethingunique said...

Hi Lori,i have this one on my wish list along with the "Painting with Fire" and i totally agree not knowing how long to cut the wire is frustrating. I can't wait to get it thanks for sharing you take on the book
take care ttfn Lana :)

Hazel Ward said...

Having spent the afternoon trying out *many* different lengths of wire to try to make a component fit correctly, this book sounds like an absolute treasure ;) Thank you, I'm off to have a closer look :)

SummersStudio said...

I've had this book on my wish list for a while. Great review and I think I'll move it up my 'to purchase' list.

Cindy said...

A great review Lori...I agree, this one is a staple for the wireworker. There are many beautiful ideas inside the pages - and great step by step pictures.

KayzKreationz said...

I love this book. I got my copy last week and have already read through it twice and bits and pieces of it more. It's wonderful. I've been wanting to make some more of my own findings and this is just the ticket. LOVE it.

Kristen said...

I make and sell findings and I could use some new ideas and inspiration. I think I'll order this book.

Shai Williams said...

I picked up this book a week ago and can hardly wait to sit down and play with it.