Thursday, July 14, 2011

Miriam Haskell Inspiration Part 1

Sometimes when you are searching online for something, serendipity hits and you end up discovering something new and amazing and suddenly your obsessed.  Okay, maybe that last part is just me but I can not get enough of Mariam Haskell jewelry.  Tomorrow I will share resources and lots of links for making these awesome bead collages.  Today I will share some tips for how I made this Haskell-inspired necklace.

The bouquet is worn to the side in this asymmetrical design, inspired by this piece by Mariam Haskell!

The necklace focal is actually the clasp and starts off as a screened surface that you sew and wire-wrap the beads onto and then attach it back to the base of the clasp.  I had one of these in my bead box from years ago and had no idea what to do with it until yesterday!  I attached all of the beads with either long headpins that were wrapped through the screen, back up and around the base of the bead.  Or sewed/attached the beads on with a thin flexible beading wire.

Plan out your design before you start.  Think about how you will layer elements so they will be secure and strike a good balance for the overall design.  I started with the large leaves first and then worked from the center outward to make the wire wrapping easier, adding the bead clusters with headpins.  You'll need your pliers to pull and maneuver your wire.  Bent nose pliers can be a big help! The darker leaf is a Vintaj blank that has a texture stamped onto it.

The art beads: vintage inspired or not, I have to add in some artist created pieces.  This bouquet is actually brimming with art beads.  I have one of my polymer clay disks in teal.  A lampwork bead from Sea of Glass.  One of Nadin's headpins and the handpainted lucite flowers and a leaf from Vintage Meadow.

After I had my larger elements securely attached I filled in any empty spaces with Czech glass teardrops that are attached with a thin bead stringing wire that knotted easily.  This always covered up some of my messier wire work.

When I was done with the top, the screen fit back on the clasp with prongs to hold it in place. The last step was stringing the necklace, that was the easy part.  And I tried crimp covers for the first time ever. 

Here is a hint if you are going to use this style of clasp with crimp covers. Start on the side of the box clasp where it doesn't detach, add your wires and crimps and then do the crimp covers on that side. And then add the covers to the other side while it's removed from the box part of the clasp.  I put the crimp covers on after I was done stringing the entire necklace, swear words were muttered.  It was not a pretty picture.

I'm not 100% crazy about using box clasps. They are hard to find and it's a little fidgety to take on and off.  For my next creation I will probably work with a Vintaj filigree for the base and add a toggle clasp to the design like I did with the leaves.  Just make sure it's really secured to the filigree!

Join me tomorrow for part 2 of my Miriam Haskell obsession for a little history, design lessons and online resources. 

30 comments:

KristiBowmanDesign said...

Holy moly Heather, that is one gorgeous necklace!! Must learn how to use pinterest, joined but just can't quite figure it out.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is spectacular! Thanks for telling us how you achieved this loveliness!

SummersStudio said...

My stars, but that is magnificent.

TesoriTrovati said...

Gah! That is soooooo amazing! I love the lushness of it, the mix of colors, the bold shapes and the assymmetry!
I want one!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

jessememan said...

totally gorgeous! Love those colors!

Heidi Post said...

Wow, that's really beautiful! My grandmother had a few Miriam Haskell pieces that I wound up with after she died. Nothing quite as elaborate as the things you pinterested, and much of it was broken or not wearable. I've harvested what I could, and I use it in my designs. Can't wait to see what you have to share tomorrow!

Spirited Earth said...

this is a knock out..gorgeous.

peacockfairy said...

Love this! Can't wait to see more tomorrow!

Bobbie said...

Gorgeous! Absolutely spectacular...must mop off my keyboard before I do any damage...

*jean* said...

beautiful colors and great assemblage!

Therese's Treasures said...

That is a stunnng necklace I love all of the colors and the different textures.
Therese

mirsini's creations said...

This necklace is soooo beautiful !!!! I LOve it!!!!!
:o))

sandi m said...

Beautiful Heather.
Love Miriam - I have a few of her pieces purchased years ago. I should think about repurposing.
Looking forward to Part Deux....

Karin Slaton said...

Thanks for the well-detailed tutorial. I've got print-out in hand and am heading up to my bead room this minute!

Sally Anderson said...

So amazing and so beautiful. Thanks for sharing how you did it -- I can't imagine trying to do that myself! Haskell did some amazing work! Yours is, too.

Doreen said...

This is so beautiful! You did a great job! Luscious!

DASI GLAM said...

Just amazing!

Cindy said...

So amazingly stunning, Heather! I just love the look of floral "collages" and all that great layering. I'm a huge fan of vintage jewelry and Miriam Haskell. What a fantastic post!

Ms. Lahtidah said...

Wow! I love your necklace! Much more than the inspiration. Wow - That's all I can say! Suz Warren

Jasmine said...

Gorgeous and so beautiful great job

Sara said...

beatiful work. Happy day.

Jen Judd said...

Completely gorgeous!! Looking at the little thumbnail photo, I was first drawn in by the color combination in the strands...then, the focal! I love it! I have a couple of those little "screen" things that aren't part of clasps and I've had them out for a while waiting for something good to happen. Maybe a little MH inspiration is what I needed!
Thanks
Jen

Alice said...

This is beyond gorgeous! I can't wait to see the next installment. Thanks so much for sharing both the inspiration, and your tips for making this stunning piece.

BahamaDawn said...

that necklace is totally awesome!!! thanks for sharing!!

Orion Designs said...

Absolutely stunning!

Aquariart said...

Drop dead gorgeous!! Love the mix of metals and all that color and texture. Fabulous work!

Stories They Tell said...

That is one stunner of a necklace! I love that you found inspiration in a vintage designer-- that's such a great tip, there is so much to learn from these artists and so much inspiration to be gathered. Thanks for this!

Leslie Todd said...

Gorgeous necklace! In addition to the lovely focal, i like the way you color changed the beaded necklace.

Thanks for the detailed tutorial. It's a wealth of info!

Elysian Studios said...

Heather, this is drop dead gorgeous!

Lori said...

Wow, I miss going to Bead &Button Show! All these projects are so yummy. Bead &Button show always gives me so much inspiration. Your beautiful necklace gave me inspiration as well. It's lush with color but not at all dowdy. Great components used. Is it sold in a kit?