Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Garden Memory Necklace

First up, our Vintaj Arte Metal and Brass charm winner is Kade. Please email Heather (me) your address and I will send this awesome prize pack out to you!
I created another gift for my daughter that she wore to her holiday concert this year. It's a lovely garden inspired piece layered with charms and pendants. I will walk you through my design tips for this necklace. Again, the Arte Metal from Vintaj can be find exclusively at Hobby Lobby and they do have an online shop.
The first part of the pendant starts with a patina pendant from Miss Fickle Media. Use a large jump ring on the disk pendant to attach the smaller jump rings. Using jump rings I attached a Vintaj Skeleton Key and a dangle of a Czech glass flower.
Next up, to relate to the patina pendant I took a two leaf dangle and used an acrylic paint dabber in a light green to give it a faux patina. After it dried I put a protective layer of Renaissance wax. This pendant and a bird were also attached on jump rings.
Another glass flower was added to the charm cluster.
To accent the pendant component of the necklace I used gunmetal chain, job's tear seed beads in light white/pink hue, polymer clay disk beads, rhinestone rondelles and fire-polished glass. I choose the job's tear beads for frosty hue and that they relate to the garden being seeds themselves.
The complete necklace with asymmetrical placement of the seeds and polymer clay links. A simple lobster claw clasp ends the design.

10 comments:

Alice said...

Congratulations Kade!

Heather, this is a lovely necklace!

Mary Harding said...

A beautiful necklace. Love all those verdigris green blues.

lunedreams said...

Very nice! Love the combination of textures and finishes--the little faceted glass bead with the rhinestones is such a nice contrast to the more natural feel of the other beads, and it all works really well with the patina finish on the focal. I have those seeds! This inspires me to use them.

And thanks A LOT for the link to Hobby Lobby. Just what I needed. I didn't know they had an online store. I was afraid to look. The closest one is 9 hours from here. I thought I was safe. But thanks to your "helpfulness" I've already been sucked in!! Drat you, Heather Powers!!! (PLEASE don't tell me Michael's has an online store too, because I've been afraid to look for that too).

(My inner bead glutton is sending you e-kisses).

peggy aplSEEDS said...

how beautiful!

Heather Powers said...

Keirsten - I'm trouble like that! Make sure to check out their weekly sales. Sometimes they have the Vintaj at 25% off.

lynsey said...

that is beautiful

Sherri said...

I love that necklace!!

Susan said...

Love the Job's tears beads! Very pretty necklace!

KeRobinson said...

How Interesting! :) I like the patina too! :)

JeannieK said...

Congratulations Kade. Another well done necklace masterpiece Heather.