Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Solstice Necklace

It's officially summer, so here is a cute and quick necklace to whip up using a pendant from Golem Studios in their lace design.  Geometrics are hot for summer fashions and triangles are pointing the way to trendy styles.  I teamed this striking pendant with ceramic tabs from Elaine Ray, a hand blown glass bead and Czech flowers, the play of the complimentary color palette makes this a fresh find.

Supplies:
Ceramic pendant - Golem Studios
Hand blown glass bead - Stephanie Ann
4 ceramic 12mm tabs - Elaine Ray
1 copper 12mm round bead
12 Czech flowers (6 of two colors)
12 copper 4mm spacers
12 2" copper ball headpins
6 2" brass eyepins
10 brass 12mm jump rings
brass hook clasp
2 5" lengths of brass chain

Create the elements:
1. Add a spacer, ceramic tab and a spacer to an eyepin.  Repeat with the other 3 ceramic tabs and the glass bead and copper bead for 6 beaded links.

2. Add a glass flower to a ball headpin, create a wrapped loop using the rest of the wire wrapped several times under the loop.  Repeat with the other 11 flowers.

Put the necklace together:
1. On the jump ring, add the pendant and a ceramic tab.  Close the jump ring.
2. Add a jump ring to the other side of the ceramic tab, add 3 flower dangles and the glass bead link, close the jump ring.
3. Add a jump ring to the other side of the glass bead, add 3 flower dangles and a ceramic tab, close the jump ring. 
4. Add the chain to the last tab with a jump ring.
5. Repeat pattern on the other side, using the copper bead instead of the glass bead.
6. Add the hook clasp with a jump ring, add the other jump ring to the other side of the chain.

A simpler variation of this design uses one of Golem's poppy pendants with smokey quartz links and a single color of flowers.  This one reminds me of art nouveau jewelry with the graphic floral elements and geometric design.

10 comments:

Rosanne said...

They are adorable! I am glad I got one from Vlad. I'll be whipping up my own Summer Solstice some.

Happy Mango Beads said...

Golem's pendants are great! I love the contrast between the ceramic pendants and the rest of each necklace. Fun projects!

Therese's Treasures said...

Both necklaces are very pretty, but my fave is the second one. The Golem pendant with the red flowers speaks to me.
Therese

somethingunique said...

Hi Heather, those are stunning, i can't believe i can't order anything till the strike is over! I am having withdrawls AUUUGGG!!!
ttfn Lana >^.^<

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [24 Jun 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

DASI GLAM said...

I love them and my favorite is the red poppy pendant.

Anonymous said...

The Pic of necklace is really beautiful and its style and design is also great. I liked it

JeannieK said...

Great designs Heather and the pendants are beautiful.

My Life Under the Bus said...

So pretty = loe the flowers I stick them on everything!

Jo said...

Beautiful! My favourite is the first version - the colours and the artbead are gorgeous. I posted a link to your tutorial as my weekly "Tutorial Tuesday", and what started out as my version of your necklace ended up as a bracelet with a lampwork bead and one of my handmade silver flower clasps.