Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bead & Button Recap

2011 Bead & Button Show is an art bead paradise!  Some of the top beadmakers in the country and beyond displayed their wares.  I wish I could visit every booth and beadmaker - but there are just so many.  Thankful there is a printed program to visit the ones online that I missed.  Here were a few of my favorites this year:
Kerri Fuhr is always on my list to visit.  Her amazing beads are a sight to behold and even more amazing in person.  This year she had these little birds perched and ready to sing - love them.  She also has a new line of butterfly pendants.  Visit Kerri's website at http://www.kerrifuhr.com/.
Stephanie Ann Designs shares a booth with Kerri, so of course you have to see what's new with Stephanie!  Stephanie's work has a very beachy theme with tide pools of glass starfish, handblown glass beads and matte glass disk beads that remind me of beach glass.

Polymer clay artist Pam Wynn had a beautiful range of earthy beads and an exciting line up of new brighter colors.  She also offers pendants from her daughter, Heather Wynn.  You can find Pam's beads in her Etsy shop and Heather's work in her Etsy shop.

I had the pleasure of meeting Heidi, the designer behind Lillly Pilly.  It's so nice to meet the people behind the creations.  Heidi and her helper Jodi create all the work from Lilly Pilly, which features engraved shell pendants in intricate designs inspired from nature. They are offering two new collections of metal sheets, one collection is embossed and patina brass and copper.  The other collection is printed aluminium in geometric patterns.  Both can be used to create pendants and bead caps.  Check out their work at http://www.lillypillydesigns.com/.

I love Julie Nordine's work, you'll find her under the business name Credit River Art Glass.  She makes the most amazing glass acorns with electroplated acorn caps and lampwork beads.  You'll also find etched copper leaves and new this year were enameled copper leaves.  Julie has an enchanting color sense, all earthy and organic.  You can see more of her work at http://www.creditriverartglass.com/.

My favorite find from the show was Vintage Meadow Artworks created by Heather French.  Heather hand colors lucite in the most amazing color palettes.  I couldn't get enough of her work.  She will be opening an online shop soon and when she does I will be the first to let you know!

I also enjoyed meeting Sak from Saki Silver - who by the way had a table full of bronze metal pieces.  If silver has you sticker shocked check out their collection of alternatives in the dark, rich color of bronze.  If you don't know Mellisa's lampwork from Sea of Glass, I recommend heading over to her website.  I will share more of her work soon, she had the coolest new beads.

And it's not all art beads, I loved visiting with the girls at the Vintaj booth - they were during demos of their new embossing system on metal blanks - so easy and fun.  And Sara Hardin from Soft Flex was showing off a make-and-take project.   

I was at the show for 4 days so this is just a small sample of the beadmakers that I was able to visit.  I loved seeing what was new at Green Girl Studio, Lisa Peters, Diane Hawkey, Earthenwood Studios, MakuStudio, Golem Beads and many more!

I made a quick video with my ipod of our row, filled with beadmakers.  The show was dazzling, overflowing with all the treasures of beady dreams.  Now to pull out the goodies from the show and create some new jewelry.

14 comments:

sandi m said...

Great memories Heather!

somethingunique said...

Hi Heather, thanks so much for sharing your time at the B&B with us i can't wait to go one day i am really hoping for next year from the look of the map we need some more Canadian's there LOL & i would abso love to meet all of the amazing people i have met blogging these past few months.
ttfn Lana :)

Lorelei Eurto said...

did you happen to get an email for the Vintage Meadow seller? I'd love to see if I can get a small selection of her lovely flowers.

DVArtist said...

Great post and video. Thanks for sharing
Nicole/Beadwright

TesoriTrovati said...

That is awesome! I will check out the video later. It is a good thing we never went shopping together. Oh MY! I would have been in more trouble than I am right about now! You got to some sites I never made it to, like Heather French and Lilly Pilly. I just never found them in this haystack! So glad that you shared the beady goodness! I am going to pull out the goodies that I will share with our ABS readers from my Studio Saturday shopping trip! Stay tuned!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Unknown said...

Looks like you caught me mid-laugh. How unusual?! :)

It was great to have lunch with you and actually visit. Maybe we should make that a regular thing each year.

Therese's Treasures said...

Heather,
Looks like you had a great time and met alot of wonderful people. My goal is to attend next year's show. Thank you for sharing your good time with us.
Therese

sueatkilmeedy said...

Heather, Thank you for the smashing video. It actually made me feel as though I was there, which is great since I was sitting here watching it from my studio in Ireland.

Sue
www.amazingbeads.net

substitutionqueen said...

It really was awesome, just my second bead show but by far the best. I wandered all day and didn't catch it all, but enough to spend some money. Jennifer Jangles was so nice and colorful. I hope I can come back next year.

Maxine

Melissa said...

Hey Heather,
THanks so much for including my info. Was so great to see you and can't wait to read your new book and create something with your awesome products.
Thanks again!
Melissa

ladynoble said...

Totally picked up some Vintage Meadow Flowers and yes they are AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL! I love them and am so happy Jess had us Vintaj gals check out their booth. The only thing I wish was that I had more $ cause I kind of want a flower in every color.

Linda Landig said...

Thanks for the virtual tour. I would have loved to attend. I enjoyed the pictures of some of the booth, some of which are new to me and now I'll have to check them out.

DASI GLAM said...

I'm astounded at how beautiful these beads are. My personal favorites are Kerri Fuhr's and Julie Nordine's but they're all beautiful.

Cindy said...

It was great to see such a fantastic line-up at B&B, and one of my highlights was meeting YOU! :-) Just as Erin said, I didn't see all of the vendors and artists either...not at my pace. I spent an hour in some booths!