Thursday, July 26, 2012

Best of ABS-Art Bead Color Palette #1

Lost My Key Lentil Boro beads, from AtlantisGlassAndBead on Etsy

Hello ABSers! Today starts a new monthly post from me with color palettes derived from art beads. It's combining two of my very favorite things together, so I've been looking forward to this post for the last two weeks (squee!).

When I started using art beads in my own jewelry, I gravitated almost immediately to borosilicate beads. They were the first art bead that I ever fell in love with, and the colors that swirled in the glass had me absolutely mesmerized from day one.

So, what better way to celebrate a new series about art beads than to share with you a cherished favorite? A significant portion of my boro stash has come from the fabulous husband-and-wife duo of Val and Patti Hernandez of Atlantis Glass and Bead. I flat out love the color combinations they use, and their beads are a little bit of visual inspiration for me.

Take it Easy Boro Glass Lampwork beads, by AtlantisGlassAndBead on Etsy
If you liked the pop of yellow-orange and bright blue from the December Challenge Palette, then a set like these would be perfect, color-wise. Adding that pop of yellow would be a fun way to play with the colors (or a pale lavender, like The Crazier Sister pointed out!).

Midnight Stars Boro Lampwork beads, by AtlantisGlassAndBead on Etsy
If you prefer a darker palette to work with, how about something like this set of beads? A dark navy with a shimmer, and a surprising pop of sky blue.
Photos are from Atlantis Glass and Bead; palettes created by Brandi. To view more from Val and Patti, including their line of findings, be sure to stop by their shop!

7 comments:

lunedreams said...

Love love LOVE Atlantis bead too! I've riffed off lampwork before too, love these palettes, especially the first one. I'm getting intrigued by combining bright red with unexpected colors.

Jewels By Ine said...

Wauw, such nice colors! Really beautifull! Went to the shops, so nice!

KayzKreationz said...

Wow, they all are great, but that first set with the reds just really pops for me. Love the color palettes to go along with them.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

My weakness, perfectly formed molten glass pretties... sigh. The last set in particular just takes my breath away. So dark and dramatic!

Sharyl said...

Brandi, if you run this as a regular feature, I'm either going to need more money for beads or more money for therapy to stop buying beads! ha! These are all just "wanna-gotta-have-gorgeous!"

Unknown said...

Wow, what a way to start the day: gorgeous absolutely gorgeous.

Emma said...

Beautiful, beautiful colors :0)
I love how the colors are picked from the photo. Is there a program/website where I can do this with one of my photos? Thank you