Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bead Cruise Highlights - Design Contest Show & Tell

One of the things I've come to love about Bead Cruise is the Farewell Party. That might sound odd. Why in the world would I love saying goodbye? Really, I don't love that part. What I love is the Design Contest and Show & Tell that happens!

On the first night of the cruise, at the welcome party, cruisers are given a swag bag chock full of beady goodness. Along with the delightful treats, they are given instructions for competing in the Bead Cruise Design Contest. It is totally optional, and totally fun! Behind the scenes, locked away in their cabins, through out the week, students create original jewelry that contains at least 3 items from the gift bag. On the last night of sailing, students and instructors gather together for the farewell party and we finally get to see what each person has been secretly creating.



Above shows a sampling of some of the pieces submitted in the 2013 Bead Cruise Design Contest. 


With each piece laid out for browsing, students and instructors get to vote for their favorites in each of 3 categories: Most Intense, Sweet & Simple, and Cruise Favorite. Winners are announced, prizes are won, and ideas for next year's entry are undoubtedly stewing. 

This year's cruise had another event at the farewell party that wasn't to be missed, Show & Tell. Students brought some of the pieces they created in class to show off to the group. This was by far my favorite part of the night! I loved seeing what students had been creating in the other classes!! And OH! what awesome things they were!!



Students and instructors view the Show & Tell table above with a sampling of student work in the image below. 

If you would like more information on how you can set sail with Bead Cruise 2014, be sure to join the Bead Cruise Mailing List for updates.

5 comments:

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Love seeing what people made aboard the cruise! What a fun idea to share that in a farewell gathering. Looks like all were inspired and having a great time!

TesoriTrovati said...

Goodness! What fun! These pieces are all so very lovely. I wish that I could read the names. And it tickles me to see one of the pendants I added to the gift bags in there! I hope that one day this cruise will be on my list. It must be so fun to relax and bead away the days and nights with new friends in such a lush tropical setting! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the day. Erin

Divya said...

sounds fun..I wish I could attend one

Kerry said...

Erin, I should have mentioned, it's totally anonymous. No names are on those cards! Just a detail of the 3 peices used from the kit. We don't know which student made which project until they announce the 3 winners. Unfortunately, I didn't write down those names :(

elise thomas said...

Looks like soooo much fun! I'd love to go someday.