Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Bead Studio Inspirations

I have such an under decorated studio, it's down-right embarrassing and rather uninspiring.  Like seriously, my beautiful seagrass paper-covered inspiration board has one picture on it.  And anyone else sick of having their beads stuffed in plastic containers? Out of sight - out of mind! Or how about jewelry and displays that are neatly packed away for the next show - efficient but a few on display could spark some new ideas.

I'm on a mission to create this space into something that would leap off the pages of Where Women Create, keeps me organized and helps me work more efficiently.  That really sounds like a job for a professional but unless a Home Crasher find me the aisles of a home improvement store, it's a job that I will need to tackle!

First up - my poor walls - bare and forlorn.  They need some art work and photos stat.  I am going to start with this Shine On You Crazy Diamond print from Vol25.  Love, love, love it!

Next up, my jewelry from my book is on display on a green pegboard.  Uh, no - bad Heather.  It really needs a more artistic display.  I'm digging this reclaimed wood one from Yesterday Reclaimed.

Art beads tucked in boxes, hidden away?  That's a shame.  They need to be in a few special little bowls.  I would gather up birds, eggs and nest beads to put them into this cutie from Karen Norton.

Wouldn't this be a fun way to display inspiration photos or earrings on cards.  This vintage find is from In With the Old.

Ah the printer's tray.  I don't think I'll ever be lucky enough to snag a whole cabinet, but a tray or two would look awesome on my bead table. I always feel a little green with envy when I see them in other bead studio photos. You can find this one from Aurora Mills.

I have a collection of trays that I use when I design jewelry. I'll gather materials into the tray and see what happens!  And it makes a quick clean up at the end of the day, just stack your trays until you are ready to work again. This weathered one is from On Winston Lane.

You know those beads you absolutely love?  Yeah, those ones.  They need their own bowl.  This precious ceramic one is from Lauren Sumner Pottery.

A little utilitarian, I actually have a few of these card files in my studio and store my clay in them. I like their vintage feel and they hide away quite a bit!  These are from River Jim

A sweet display for some of your handcrafted treasures - don't hide them in a box, hang them in your studio. You can find these at Selina Beads n Bits. 

This vintage owl from Long Lost Love can be used to display earrings, but I think he'd made a good studio mascot.  You know, to remind you of just how smart and clever you are!   

I will wait to see what kind of treasures I can find at the next antique market at the end of the month.  Until then I will be purging.  I have beads I will never use.  You know, they kind you saw at a show and price was just too good to pass up but that was 5 years ago. Yeah, that kind of bead stash needs to find a new home. This is my mantra for my studio redo:

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. - William Morris

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

We do share a brain, Miss Heather! I am on a quest to wrangle all the bins and bags and boxes overflowing in my studio space and making it more inviting (and not just for the spiders that co-exist with me!). I moved a defunct tv armoire into my studio and I am waiting for the shelf unit to arrive that will fill up the inside space and then I will start getting rid of (yes! Discarding things I may never use!) and keeping only what will fit in there. I want it to be inspiring and fun. My wall color is a latte beige. I won't be painting, but I am accenting. Orange and turquoise seem to be winning at the moment. I want everything in its place but accessible. And the biggest shocker is that I plan to rid myself of the huge table in the middle of the room as it is a catch all and move a smaller butcher block table in there. Maybe painting the legs will make it pop. I need some serious organization STAT! Thanks for the inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

Liona (Blue Merlin Creations) said...

Such fun reading your post, Heather! My beads are all in very utilitarian plastic bins above the cupboards in my kitchen (where I do all of my designing and creating). I will have to wait until my children are much older before I dare leave any of my beautiful art beads out it bowls, but I sure love the idea! Something to look forward too once their older...and it'll help declutter my kitchen! =)

Liona (Blue Merlin Creations) said...

Enjoyed your post, Heather. I think I'll have to wait awhile before displaying any of my finished pieces and fabulous art beads. I have several small people in the house who'd be a little too intrigued, I think! Still, definitely inspiration for when they're older and less likely to wander off with/play with/lose/eat my beads!