Friday, October 25, 2013

Inside the Studio - Mini Displays

Welcome to Inside the Studio! 

Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive we offer a free prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard. The following week we choose a random winner.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • •
 

  This weeks winner is Kim Stevens! Congratulations!
You have won an owl from Tesori Trovati
.
 Today you back in the Humblebeads Studio and what's on my mind today - holiday shows!

I don't have much planned for the holidays and to tell you the truth I'm doing a little hustling to find places to host trunk shows - offices, schools, boutiques, spas - wherever I think a good match would be for my jewelry!  I have been researching shows but deadlines are so far in advance for the good shows, let's just say next year I'll be rocking the holiday markets in my area.  

For now I have two shows that are Artisan Markets at local art centers.  These are basically gift shop settings that take over the gallery for 2-3 weeks during the holidays and work on consignment.  

So how do you sell your jewelry and tell a story when are aren't there?  Well here are a few tips:

1. Merchandise your jewelry smartly - this isn't the time to throw any and everything on the display.  Create a  collection that works together.  For this show I paired up woodland themed jewelry with the motifs of leaves, trees, birds and nests.  Everything works together and I have a range of prices from $25-$65.  

2. Keep your display simple, affordable and one that compliments your brand/style.  I covered a canvas from Hobby Lobby with silk fabric and a flew 12" particle boards that we had in our crafty closet. A glue gun and scissors were all that were required.  Make sure you put your name on your displays.

The great thing about this display is your can make up several sets for different shows.  

*Be sure to pin everything down.  It keeps them from sprouting legs and walking away.

3. Tell your story without saying a word.  Create a sign with one or two sentences that introduce your jewelry, include it with your business name and logo and put it in a frame to go with your display. 

Mine says, " My jewelry features designs that jump out of my sketchbook, are transformed into clay and become reminders for the wearer to live mindfully, rejoice in nature's beauty and to remember the peace that comes from touching the earth."

I also included a copy of book because well that's just impressive isn't it?  And now you see the story of my jewelry and know a little bit about it without me saying a word.  If you do sign up for these type of events they always have an opening night.  Plan to attend, meet as many people as your can, wear a ton of your jewelry and bring your business cards.  You never know who you might meet!

 Now for the prize this week - it's a $20 gift certificate from Humblebeads.com

What is a clever display idea that you've seen or that you use?
Leave a comment and we'll pick a winner next Friday. 

27 comments:

Third Eye Gypsy said...

You always amaze me, Heather! I looked at your first photo and though "Canvas' what a GREAT idea!" Your display is amazing! So you! I love your tags and cards too. I am one of those people that loves displays that flow and just artfully show your brand through out! Best of luck to you for your upcoming shows! xoxo Genea

Unknown said...

I'm fond of the use of old garden implements as displays- for example, a disconnected old rake head, as a rack for bracelets or necklaces. I'm also partial to the use of picture frames without glass, either with vintage fabrics, or with chains or strings across the front, to hang earrings from. Oldies, I know, but very practical, and budget-friendly. :) Thanks for the great giveaway, and for the reminder- I gotta get some displays ready for the show I'm doing on the 9th! (Whew- where does the time go???)

Alice said...

Thanks for the great information. Your displays are fabulous! I like the idea of having collections. I have my jewelry in two shops and they actually do their own displays quite nicely. I'm hoping to get in to more shops but wow I'm already having trouble keeping up with these two.

When I do shows I like to use old books to display my jewelry. Many are Swedish books handed down from my father's side.

Anonymous said...

I'm working on new displays at the moment so this is all very much at the front of my mind. I think one of the best display ideas I have come across is using clipboards for necklace displays. It really shows off the necklace well, and is an idea I have adapted for use in my own displays.

Gale said...

I really love the artwork (including your logo) on your tags! Aside from the jewelry, that is....

Ann Schroeder said...

Your displays and jewelry look great! I was really impressed with Genea's ideas for her display at Bead Fest recently. I loved the idea of tiny O rings keeping pairs of headpins together. Also, putting a special bead in a little package with a business card called bead souvenirs. Way to spread the word! Her full post is here: http://www.geneabeads.blogspot.com/2013/08/bead-fest-philly-booth-part-3-complete.html

Kylie Parry Studios said...

Everything here is so perfect- great cohesive look. and I LOVE the words used to introduce your jewelry. perfect!

KayzKreationz said...

I just saw one on Pinterest that I pinned to one of my boards for a 3 tier display for necklace or bracelet made of pvc, painted in a color that would set off your jewelry. I'm getting the pieces this week to make one for my first ever jewelry craft show. Here's a link to it.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/537195061773928052/

Armored Mermaid said...

I'm still pretty new at this, but my local gallery uses cheap piping from the hardware store covered with nice fabric to display bracelets.

Anonymous said...

HA! Actually, Heather, I think it was your idea. My black flocked necklaces stands were looking pretty shabby and I saw your blog post about covering them in dried moss. A trip to the craft store for some spray adhesive and moss sheets did wonders.
They are perfectly suited for certain colorful boho style necklaces.

Lynda

baymoondesign said...

Thank you for the tips! I have a commercial black bracelet stand. I made a black roll out of black velour fabric that I am putting at the base. It makes for a nice display.

Unknown said...

Heather, your jewelry is so pretty and I would love to win a gift certificate to your shop!! I haven't done a show yet but I have collected some "props" in case I ever have the time to do one. One of my favorites is a bust a friend gave me from Victoria's Secret!

Kristen said...

I like this idea of using small portable canvases! And they can be moved around easily to fit different set ups. I saw a vintage shutter with earring cards hanging on the slats which looked very nice.

Linda said...

I love your idea of covering canvases! Your display looks great and I hope it leads to lots of sales. A simple idea I have used is to roll up bamboo placemats and drape bracelets over them. Inexpensive, easy to store and looks cool!

Maneki said...

Really nice displays that works well with the style of jewellery.

Not so much a display for selling as a display for the home, but EPBOT has a neat display tutorial for a necklace/pendant frame where the frame matches the style of the pendant and in a way gives it more impact if you see what I mean. Not least a great idea for e.g. inherited jewels that you don't wear for one reason or another but still think deserves showing off.

Have also seen a display for turquoise jewellery using light wood as background and turquoise chips to fill out spaces between and around.

There really are two types of displays: the ones that are perfect backgrounds and the ones that are the centre of attention. The latter are great for displaying jewellery at home (a few exceptions also work for selling) and the former for e.g. shows and boutiques. The former can also be combines with a few props to help create a mood or style.

Michelle said...

I love seeing others ideas for displaying jewelry. These are so nice and streamlined/clean looking! I often have people asking for earrings that go with a particular bracelet or necklace. Great way to show this.

Unknown said...

I found a picture frame at an antique mall and removed the picture and glass. I strung chains across the frame and added "legs" on each side. Earrings are very easy to hook onto the chains.
I only have pieces from my Gatsby collection, art deco inspired, on this display.

Erin S said...

Love your simple fabric covered displays! I saw one at a gallery I really liked. Jewelry sat on plain white square porcelain tiles, which were on top of a smaller flat black square base. I think the bases were just painted wood boxes, but you could spray paint just a cardboard box and it would work. You don't really see the base much, but it's a clean contemporary display.

Dzign by Jamie said...

I don't do shows anymore, but I never really was very good at displays.; I love your idea!

Colleen said...

I don't have a display as of yet but one thing I have seen that I like is to staple screen or some other sturdy gridded material to picture frames. Part of the final unit for a course I'm taking is to create a display for a jewelry collection, so I appreciate tips from the experts.

Charis Designs said...

What do you use to attach your earring cards to the canvas, Heather? Love the canvas idea! Someone gave me a converted medicine cabinet with added wood strips for my earrings- with a glass pane instead of the mirror, and a handle, it's a great carry and go display! Christie

Sarajo Wentling said...

My display has lots of natural linen type fabrics in neutrals mixed with some colorful and interesting books (some real, some hollow boxes), and some little suitcase/trunk things in fake leather.

I was super proud of myself for problem solving and adapting one of my trunks so that it can be displayed open on one end with necklaces hanging from little cup hooks I screwed inside.

Ema Kilroy said...

Your idea of covering canvas with fabric is wonderful. I use old shutters. I custom cut my cards to I have extra length to fold over which easily slides between the shutter slats. Your jewelry and cards looks beautiful.

lynn said...

Hi I love your displays, and love the hand made display cards.. I do some shows, and try to use different things from around the house. Lynn

Samsmama said...

love it! how do you make your cards? do you have a stamp with your logo?

I use mini cards I get from zazzle to use as tags for everything. they are expensive but I hope they go with the client and help them remember who and where the design came from.

Ann said...

A friend of mine used a roll of rusted hardware cloth to hang earrings (with cards) and necklaces from at her store.

Kim Stevens said...

Oh, somehow I missed this earlier. Thank you so much, I love her work!