Thursday, October 13, 2011

Free Project - The Long Way Home Pendant


A collection of art beads creates a compelling story in a simple pendant design.

In my book, Jewelry Designs from Nature, I write about creating jewelry with a poetic message.  I love jewelry that speaks to us.  I created this pendant when I was packing up to move back home to Michigan.  My dreams finally had wings and I was looking forward to nesting and settling in my new home.


Supplies:
Feather Pendant
House Bead
Bird Bead
8mm glass spacers
2 6mm copper spacers
10" 21 gauge blackened steel wire
18 gunmetal chain

Tools: heavy duty wire cutters, round and chain nose pliers and steel wool.

Directions:
1. Leaving a 4" tail on the steel wire, create a large loop.  Open the loop and insert the feather pendant, close the loop.

2. Wrap the tail of the wire above the loop two times in a regular wrapped looped.  Continue wrapping the wire several times, criss-crossing around the loop to create an entwined effect.

3. String on a copper spacer, house bead, copper spacer, glass bead, bird bead.  Create another large wrapped loop as in step 2.

4. Thread the pendant on the chain.

Sources:
Feather: Humblebeads.  House: Jubilee.  Bird: Mamacita Beadworks


FYI: I've extended my 25% off sale in my Etsy shop until midnight tonight!  

Use discount code BEADS4FALL.

3 comments:

Loris Glassworks said...

Love that you explained the meaning of this piece, it has a greater impact now that I know the emotion behind it. Thanks for sharing!
Lori

KayzKreationz said...

What a great piece. And I love the story behind it. Thanks for the tutorial.

Marie Cramp said...

I always love seeing what is floating around in your brain when it comes to your own art beads :) Helps us to think outside our own imagination!