Friday, October 21, 2011

I Heart Tools: Vintaj Big Kick

In September I was fortunate enough to attend a two day Vintaj workshop in Galena, Illinois at the Vintaj Earth Studio.  It was an incredibly inspiring weekend with more tips and tricks packed into two days than one would think possible.  One of my favorite projects was working with the new Vintaj Big Kick Machine.  We embossed textures and images unto Vintaj blanks to create fun pendants and components.

Here are some class projects of the altered blanks embossed and riveted with charms and pendants.  I love the look of layering the pendants.  It's fun way to customize your metal without hammering away or pulling out the chemicals.  The process is so simple, you can whip out a ton of pendants in a short session.

Add the embossed blanks with your favorite art beads for quick and easy holiday pendants.  In fact, that is what I'm doing this weekend to prepare for upcoming holiday shows.  I'm pairing up the tree pendants with my egg, bird and branch beads.
Step by step directions and video links can be found here.

This is the Big Kick - it's sort of like a printing press.  You place your metal blank into the folder, layer it between the two sheets of plastic and run it through.  Yep - that's it!  After your pendant is done, you can add some depth by buffing it.  The black Arte Metal blanks buff up with silver highlights - loved them!


This is my favorite folder - me and that tree became fast friends.

You can find the Vintaj Big Kick & folders at Hobby Lobby or online at Beadaholique or Bello Modo.

I see that Vintaj is hosting a one day workshop covering the embossing and melt art techniques in November.  Click here for more details.


15 comments:

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

This looks so cool Heather! I want to try it!!! Thanks for the insight and links!

carlene said...

You have a way of taking something we learned at class and upgrading to an expert look! You amaze me!

Steph L. said...

I got this for my birthday and I love it! It is so easy to use and the pendants come out great.

Anonymous said...

That does look cool! What a fun tool!

Anonymous said...

That does look cool! What a fun tool!

pdmaxfield said...

Thanks for spreadin' the word Heather!

Lupe Meter said...

Thanks, Heather for sharing this! Checked out the links...I am jazzed!

beautifullybrokenme said...

Thanks so much for the post, Heather. I've been drooling over the Big Kick for a few weeks now, and now I know what I'm going to ask for for Christmas!

TesoriTrovati said...

I was there with Heather and it was the most incredibly jam packed two days! I was not sure that I would buy the BigKick but I did and it is a wonderful tool. There is so much that I can do with this to enliven any design. I am working on a project right now with a troop of girl scouts and we are going to be making little necklaces with Vintaj blanks painted and highlighted, beads and charms. I love it when a tool comes along that is so easy to use and speeds up the process to gorgeous designs!

Enjoy the day!
Erin

Sherri said...

What an awesome idea!! I love the tree too!

Marie Cramp said...

How I envy your close proximity to them! I can not even imagine the cost to get there!! Thanks for sharing what you made :)

Judy said...

What a great technique! I saw the tool at Hobby Lobby and wondered what it was (too lazy to read the box).

Unknown said...

All I want for Christmas.......

Karen Totten said...

Looks like such fun!

Jewels By Ine said...

That is really cool! Must try :)