Sunday, August 11, 2013

Studio Saturday...Ehem...Sunday-Creative Impressions In Clay

Welcome to Studio Saturday Sunday! Each week one of our contributors gives you a sneak peek into their studio, creative process or inspirations. We ask a related question of our readers and hope you'll leave comments! As an incentive we offer a free prize each week to bribe you to use that keyboard. The following week we choose a random winner.
This weeks winner is Kathy LindemerCongratulations! 
You have won a Dream Catcher Pendant Kits Erin Siegel!
Send Erin an e-mail with your email address and she will get it right out to you.
This week we visit the studio of 
Tari Sasser at Creative Impressions In Clay.

Bok Bok! I was working yesterday and missed my Studio Saturday. So today we have Studio Sunday!
 I made this mug several years ago for my mom for Mothers Day.
I have been in a creative funk for so long, I have nothing new to show. It's sad and tiresome.
Today I just feel like crying about it.
I need to make stuff for a show next month and my "Get up and Go has Got up and Went!" as my dad would say.

Mom collects Chickens. The inspiration for the mug.

Bok bok is what my kids would say what a chicken sounded like when they were little.

 Chicken Scratch :).

"Oh Crap!" Something my dad says. 
It was hard to photograph but I layered a pile of underglaze in the bottom of the mug + down the side to look like chicken crap. Yes, I have a warped sense of humor but then so does my family! Mom loved it.

Wish me luck on getting ready for my show next month. I'm hoping to unslump my creative slump.

My question today is:
Have you been in a creative slump? How did you get out?
Leave a comment answering the question and you could win a Pendant, a Button and a Cabochon. 


Have a great day!!
Feeling Sassy as usual!
Tari Sasser

7 comments:

Klassy Joolz said...

I'm still trying to get "unslumped"...it's been awhile for me as the last year and half has been very hard on me and 2008 lingers in the background of my mind as well. So I feel ya! I try to be positive everyday and think this is the day I'll turn it around and start loving to design again. I still do a Bead Challenge here and there and that really helps to spark my creativity for a little while. My bead stash is over flowing and those beads are calling to me...so I'm thinking next week I only work 1 day so that would be a good week to get going...I'll work on ABS Challenge and finish some projects I've started....Well that's what I'm hoping will happen...."Now that's what I'm talking about!".

Thanks Tari!

baymoondesign said...

A sale of some of my jewelry usually sparks me out of a slump. Since a sale doesn't happen nearly enough, I have reort to some other means.

I sometimes just give myself permission to take a break from jewelry making and I read for fun. Often, I find that when I swim ( 1 mile most days), I will think about a design or problem with a design. Also, looking through jewelry magazines or books helps give me a new idea to try.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

It seems like everyone is singin' the blues lately... maybe this is a virus and it's contagious, Tari? There is so much pressure to ready items for shows, shops, etc.

I need regular challenges with design limitations to channel my creativity into something concrete. Imposing a certain colour palette, material or technique is a great starter, at least for me. And if that fails, a spa day could help LOL.

Love the mug. Bok bok.

Naomi Rose Designs said...

LOVE the crap!
I'm supposed to be getting ready for my first time to have a booth offering my jewelry at our Cordell OK Pumpkin Festival.....alas, I'm giving it away faster than I make it.

That has to end. :/

Ann Schroeder said...

Love that mug. It's cute and hilarious! And the prize beads are beautiful. When I'm in a creative slump I'll do something mundane like fix a piece that needs to be restrung or some other simple task that still keeps me doing something with beads. I hope your muse returns pronto!

Unknown said...

I love your chicken mug too! I love the prize beads especially the purple bird.

You could try a new craft. Right now I'm quilting, doing stained glass and beading. I'll be taking a watercolor class soon. I always give myself permission to do something badly. It takes the pressure off and I can just have fun.

You could deliberately make something really ugly and then smash it to physically break your slump.

Bake a cake.

Erin S said...

creative slumps come and go--I find the best thing is to look at other artists work for inspiration. Like on etsy or a catalog that you like. Then steal with both hands. (just kidding.)