Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bead Scoop - Beading on the Go!


With only 6 weeks to go until I set sail on the Bead Cruise, traveling with beads has been on my mind. There are so many different traveling bead cases on the market, I'm sure they all do the trick. The one pictured is called The Bead Buddy. I like that it has a place for tools and projects that can fit underneath the beadboard.

I use plastic storage containers that have removable compartments so you can put larger items in them, like tools and wire. When I pack beads for traveling I put together little inspiration kits with beads that look good together and a few focal art beads. I'm not one to travel with every bead I own, I like the challenge of using what I have to design something new.

Beverly from NoEasyBeads likes to stock up on Christmas cookie tins when they are on clearance after the holidays. She stuffs a lot of beads in those little things.

Besides storage boxes full of beads and your basic tools, here are a few other helpful things to take along when you and your beads hit the road...

Needle Threader - if you are working with seed beads

OTT Lite & Extension Cord - good light is important!

Bead Scoop - super easy clean up

Bead Mat - keeps beads from rolling around, can be folded away or rolled up to save space when you're done.

Here is a nifty version of the Bead Mat, this designer has created them into a tray!








Do you have any beady travel tips to share with me? I'd love to hear them!

4 comments:

Bead-Mused said...

Hey Heather~
I got a Caboodles "En Vogue" case, from their "L'Artiste Ultimate Organizers" line. It's a professional make up kit, made of aluminum. I use it for short jaunts like the weekly beading group, trips to my relatives' houes, etc. I love it. It has room for everything I need, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg!
Bead Happy!
Theresa

Elaine Ray said...

I am loving that beading mat - can be flat or in a tray shape with the pull of the ribbon! Genius!

Thanks for sharing....

Carlene said...

Hi Heather,
I got the Bead Buddy for Christmas from my husband (what a guy!) and I love it. The only problem I have with it is that the side wth the bead board is designed to be the top which means you can't leave an uncomplete item on it and close it. (Even if you don't intend to carry it somewhere and just want to hide your project from the cat!) And he included a great little clip on lamp that works great with it and will fold to fit inside. All in all its a great product, you just have to work around the closing thing. And I love the project mat that comes with it. Very nice!

Heather Powers said...

Thanks for the tip Theresa, I'll have to look that one up.

I love those beading mat/trays to Elaine!

Thank you for the review on the Bead Buddy Carlene.