Saturday, January 26, 2008

Studio Saturday at the Scene

Each Saturday, one of the contributing editors of ABS will share with you some of the things going on in their studio. We encourage you to participate by commenting to the post. And as an incentive, we will offer a small prize each week, given to one random commenter! Sound like fun? We hope you will join in...

This week's winner is Janel! Please use the suggestion box to send your mailing address to us and Heather will send your bead out right away!

There are many projects in progress in my studio. Along with children coming and going, leaving a trail of assorted items and messes. If you hadn't figured it out my studio is always a mess and in constant state of chaos. I know where most things are located.
I am working on the new Decorative Scissors Tips that were recently in Creative Knitting Magazine. They have become very popular with Knitters and Stitchers. Glazed tips can be seen on flickr and at claybuttons.com

Stacks of buttons waiting to be cleaned or glazed is a constant. To the left are stacks of the Square Graphic Button in two different sizes. Some are for orders, the extras are to build an inventory of buttons to help prep for the upcoming show season.

I am always sketching new designs. Which sometimes gets in the way when I need to make progress glazing and I have to stop to draw out what is in my head. It has to come out! It's also the over 45 syndrom...I just won't remember.

Buttons are used by everyone on a daily basis. Most people don't stop to think about what that small disk does for them. Taken a step further buttons can adorn your favorite sweater, coat or bag and is the final touch needed to make your piece look fantastic.

Do you have a favorite type or shape of button? It can be plain, ornate, handmade, or antique. Do you have a favorite design or one you would like to see? I'm always open to new designs. Sometimes new ideas are helpful.

The prize this week for one lucky commenter is one of the Square Graphic Buttons shown above. Of course, I'll glaze it first!

13 comments:

Heather Powers said...

My favorite buttons are the shank type that can also be used as clasps or beads. I love floral patterns and the czech art deco styles.

Heather Powers said...

My favorite buttons are the shank type that can also be used as clasps or beads. I love floral patterns and the czech art deco styles.

melanie brooks said...

Great post Tari, it's cool to see your process, and the scissor tips are so neat-o!

I think my favorite shapes are the long toggle like buttons, with wire shanks instead of holes because they can be used in so many ways...as toggle clasps, pendants, buttons...

Bead-Mused said...

I love the scissors tips because they are so unique -- not the plain old rubber ones. My favorite buttons would be colorful. At times it makes it easier to match my seed bead palette, at other times they become a challenge and must have the palette built around them!
Theresa

Sheikasaurus Rex said...

The scissor-tips are ingenious -- I'm sure they make losing your scissors much more difficult. My favorite buttons are the big ones, almost brooch-size, with embossed designs. I think they really pull outfits together.

Lorelei Eurto said...

Hmmm, it wouldn't let me leave my comment for some reason. I am trying a second time.
I don't know what scissor tips are or how they are used! I'm not a knitter or a sewer. Just a beader! LoL!
I immediately thought to myself How can I use them in jewelry design?? ;)
I just started using buttons my work jewelry as clasps. They work perfectly when fitted right through a seed-beaded loop. My favorite buttons are the pewter textured buttons from MamacitaBeadworks. They are really cute, inexpensive, and pack a huge punch in a jewelry piece!

Anonymous said...

Being a beader, my favorite buttons are non-shank and have texture and color. They're great for bead embroidery projects. And, given the right button, they can be beaded to adorn the lapel as a pin, or become a focal pendant on a necklace.

Rosanne said...

I can't say that there's a button that I DON'T like. If I had to pick, I would take the big round ones with lots of texture and color. They look great on my felted bags. I save all my buttons that I take off recycled wool, I have a jar that is full of evey kind of button you can imagine...

Beverly Herman said...

I love to use buttons as clasps on beadwork. 2-hole, 4-hole or a shank those buttons tie a design together. I like the style of the art buttons that are available now.
Thanks for another great post.
The Art Bead Scene is the best!!

Mary Harding said...

I think your buttons are great. I have a collection of older buttons that I got a while ago and I like to use them for clasps on my freeform peyote cuff bracelets. The ones that work the best for me have a shank that is not too big so the button will lie close to the bracelet. I really like the Victorian buttons with raised surfaces of flowers and leaves. Round is my favorite shape for bracelets and necklaces. Thank you for giving us a look into your studio. You have such energy and creativity.

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

I love all of your comments. Everyones preferences are so diverse!
I makes me happy to see that more buttons are being used in jewelry!
My favorite buttons that I make are the freeform Picasso-esque. They have lots of color and I draw on the clay with a pencil.
Thanks everyone!

Noel said...

Buttons have always facinated me...I use to sit for hours playing with my mom's button collection, making up stories as to where they oringinalted from and who wore them....form movie starts to queens...hehehe!
So I guess my favorite button is any and all....give me a button and I can make a story up about it...lol!
Thanks for letting me have a few moments down memory lane.
Ps...when my mom died....all I wanted were the buttons, the rest of the siblings got the jewelry!

Anonymous said...

Love the scissor tips! I love the old metal buttons, shank or not. When my renters skipped out on me, the left behind a treasure trove of old buttons and I use them in lots of my bead work, as focal pieces, faces and clasps.

Beadily yours
Susan Feldkamp
nightbeaderatlarge.blogspot.com