Saturday, January 19, 2008

Studio Saturdays at the Scene

Each Saturday, one of the contributing editors of ABS will share with you some of the things going on in their studio. We encourage you to participate by commenting to the post. And as an incentive, we will offer a small prize each week, given to one random commenter! Sound like fun? We hope you will join in...

This week's winner is Stacia! Please use the suggestion box to send your mailing address to us and Melanie will send your bead out right away!

This year I'm focusing on creating new beads and experimenting more with shapes. These oval beads are part of a new collection I'm working on. They were inspired by the request of a bead artist who had a particular design in mind.

One of the advantages of making beads is that I'm limited only by my own imagination when it comes to shapes. So this week I'm asking for a little inspiration...What is your favorite bead shape? Do you have one that you seem to be drawn to more than others? I'd love to hear from you. And for one lucky commenter the prize this week is one of my new toggle beads.

Humblebeads.com

12 comments:

Gemheaven said...

Shape for me depends on mood but the lentil probably is the one I go back to time and time again!1

melanie brooks said...

I like working with that ovally lozenge shape you showed today and I also like lentil shapes. I like that it is a pretty shape with a lot of surface for decoration.

Lorelei Eurto said...

I'd have to say my favorite shape is the Rondelle. It can be an accent to other beads or hold it's own. It can look great strung on wire, or wire-wrapped. It's the most versatile bead in my stash these days!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have been beading for about a year and a half making lots of Rosary bracelets. My favorite shapes are smooth, rounded ovals. A close second is the oval melon shape faceted length-wise.

I love your beads and your color sense!

Tally said...

I found your blog just a couple of days ago via a picture of your cuffed bracelet. So beautiful!!!!

For the moment I like most the long beads. They look so delicous with your design on it.

glshowlin said...

I really love all kinds, but right now I'm having fun with one that I don't know the name for. But it is a rounded rectangular tabby shaped bead. I'm having fun dangling things from them. The beads you are showing today are just lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love your new long beads, your designs really seem to pop on that type of bead.
My favorite bead shape is the lentil - I like making the hollow lentils using PMC - I like the way they lay and they work well with necklace and bracelet designs.

I really enjoy your work and this great Blog !

Carlene said...

I am drawn to triangle shaped beads. It depends on where the hole runs through what I use them for, but they can be really fun and for some reason I feel very egyptian using them! Pyrimids, triagles? Who knows! I think your beads would be very cool in triangles! Bead on!

Anonymous said...

The easiest for me to work with is the classic round/rondelle shape. Lays perfectly for both necklaces and bracelets. Your new oval beads are beautiful, by the way!

Leslie Todd said...

My favorite bead shape is the oval (like the one you are working on), or a lentil shape. My favorite pendant shape is the donut.

Unknown said...

I love drop beads. Right now I have some very large ones that look almost like full sized grapes when they are strung next to each other. Can't wait to design a new project with them!

Heather Powers said...

These comments have really got my wheels turning! Thank you for the inspiration this week. Triangles - I need to go find some examples, very interesting!