Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Review by Lori Anderson -- Blogging For Bliss


I love to write.  I learned to read when I was three years old and when I started to write, I quickly filled notebooks with my little made-up stories.  I remember one in particular.  After consuming way too many Nancy Drew mysteries, I wrote my very own -- "The Mystery of the Missing Mummy".  The only thing it had going for it was the alliteration, but I was so proud of it, especially the crayoned pictures.

All that to say, when blogging came about, I was in heaven.

(photo via imagechef.com)
So when I ran across Tara Frey's book "Blogging For Bliss", I was intrigued.  Why do other people write?  What motivates them?  What is their purpose?

This beautifully written book is also beautiful to look out -- throughout it shows various blogs that inspire by the sheer beauty of its pages.  "Blogging For Bliss" also covers what Frey calls "the tools of the trade" -- how to even start a blog and how to begin learning the ropes.  Will your blog be personal or strictly business? Just what the heck do all those online acronyms mean, anyway?



My favorite sections were about beautifying you blog and finding business via the blog.  I know that I regularly sell pieces of my jewelry off my blog, and I'm constantly working on photos and other "beauty marks".

The last section is so very important.  It covers the courtesy and manners for a good blogger and how to promote a wonderful atmosphere to your readers.  You can still show who you are and ask thought-provoking questions without causing a stampede of unsubscribing readers.

(art by StellaLola on Etsy)
I highly recommend this book to all bloggers, both new and seasoned bloggers alike.  It's an invaluable business tool as well as a source for inspiration.  Check it out today at Amazon.com, and visit Tara Frey's blog at http://www.tarafrey.com/

You can also read Lorelei's review of this book by clicking here!

Lori Anderson creates jewelry for Lori Anderson Designs.  She write the blog Pretty Things and An Artists Year Off.  

8 comments:

Jeannie said...

Great review Lori.

TesoriTrovati said...

Awesome review Lori!
I have loaned my copy out to a friend, Sharon Misuraco who will be launching her own jewelry blog shortly! I never read all of the book, but it is delicious to look at. I have also loaned it out to others who were interested in starting a blog even if they were not in a creative profession...I think the tips there are that good.
When I get my copy back (take your time, Sharon!) I will surely dive into it again to see what I can do to improve my blog.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Off the Beadin' Path said...

Yes, thanks, Erin, for the loan of your book! There are some beautiful blogs, for fun and learning. There are helpful how-to's, although I wish they were broken down even for more "Dummies". The most helpful so far has been how to re-size your photo AND then create a file that will upload into the blog. The Help section on Blogger? My experience is not appropriate for comments! Thus, books like "Blogging for Bliss" are even more of a must-have. BTW, I'm putting my blog out there today for the main purpose of helpful input from those who have been there, done it! TIA!! It's called Off the Beadin' Path on Blogger.

Off the Beadin' Path said...

The address for the new blog is http://goinoffthebeadinpath.blogspot.com/
I took of the "Goin'" part, but need help changing that also :{ It will be a great day as patient and kind helpers respond!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful new book to check out! Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Lori!

ChristyL said...

How funny, I just got this book at the library day before yesterday. Great read! Thanks for showcasing it.

Heather said...

Now I am interested in reading that book. thank you!

sandi m said...

I bought this book when it first came out and have read it cover to cover. Tara does a superb job of describing everything you need to know about blogging and the tools to create your own. Definitely a 'must-have' resource for your library.
And even if you don't have a blog, the bloggsters included in the book have the most delicious sites.

Great review Lori!