Monday, August 2, 2010

Designer of the Week - Mary Ellen Nichols

Each Monday the Art Bead Scene features the Designer of the Week. One of our editors picks her favorite from the Monthly Challenge entries. This week's featured designer is....... Mary Ellen Nichols!

 Midnight Garden Necklace by Mary Ellen Nichols

This is what Art Bead Scene editor Shannon LeVart has to say about Mary Ellen's piece;

"I had a difficult time with this months' challenge. I studied the piece by Calder for weeks before the challenge was posted but it never moved me. I admired its balance and the fact that it was colored metal, but it didn't make me feel anything, which is how I view art. With feeeeeeling.

So when perusing all the lovely submissions, I tried to see them as what they were; beautiful pieces of hand crafted jewelry inspired by a striking piece of art. Mary Ellen's piece jumped out at me from the computer screen. It had color, movement, balance and contrast. Most of all it brought a touch of feminine beauty to an abstract, sharply angled, modern art sculpture. I love what you did here, Mary Ellen! Thank you for helping me see Calder's piece in a new light!"

 Blue Feather by Alexander Calder

7 comments:

mairedodd said...

this is a beautiful interpretation - congratulations mary ellen!

Barbara Lewis said...

Boy, do I have good taste! One of my favorites in this month's challenge. Beautiful work!

Jeannie said...

I totally agree with you Shannon.
Congratulations Mary Ellen, I love it.

Malin de Koning said...

What a nice choice. I especially like that bit of adding femininity to the piece. So true! And very well done by you Mary Ellen. Congrats!

m.e. said...

Thank you very much !!!
What a wonderful surprise !
ABS you made my day!!!
m.e. :)

rennee said...

what a creativity Mary Excellent work

custom made jewelry said...

Nice and uniques designs. They look a little futuristic for me and im lovin it!