Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Virtual Interview with Kylie Parry


I sat down (alright, not really, just virtually) with Kylie Parry, ceramic bead artist. Here's the answers to some questions I had regarding her talent in ceramics! Enjoy!

Who are you, and what do you create?
Hello there! My name is Kylie Parry and my latest obsession is creating ceramic pendants.
How long have you been working in this medium? What lead you to this craft?
I took my first ceramics class in college. I fell in love with the “magic” of the process. Creating pendants was a compromise between the 2-D and 3-D sides of my brain. Creating them allows me to work with my hands (the messy, tactile clay experience) without ignoring my love for drawing and painting. I get the best of both worlds. I have been going non-stop for the past 5 years. 


Who has had the strongest influence on your development as an artist?
I was born into a creative, hardworking and stubborn family. For better or worse, these traits are me and have definitely influenced my development as an artist.

 What are your goals for your art for the future?
 I hope to continue to find ways to incorporate my drawings into ceramic forms. The idea that my drawings can exist on something that is functional, something that is used or worn in everyday life, by common folks, appeals to me.  
I also have a new series of mosaics that I am working on. Im building them into old crumbling dresser drawers. This is completely different from anything I have done before and I am excited about how they are turning out!
Someday, I would love to be an artist “full time”. I want to be my own boss. I hope to exhibit in larger shows and get into more publications. 
What do you consider to be the one thing that makes you stand out from your peers or help you be more successful?
I think my background in illustration helps me stand out among other ceramic artists. I view each pendant as a tiny canvas. Each one turns out different and special.
For fun:  What is something that most people don't know about you?
I am an aspiring children’s book illustrator and am currently working with an author on a book about a boy with a wild imagination and a pair of red goggles.

Thank you Kylie, for a great interview. I know that Art Bead Scene readers will love to know more about you! 
You can read Kylie's blog for more behind the scene looks at her art!

12 comments:

sasha + max studio said...

Nice interview - thanks Lorelie and Kylie - having recently bought some of Kylie's pieces, I must say they are so unique and beautiful :) Vicki

Alice said...

Kylie's work is just gorgeous! I love the earthy yet playful look of her creations. I'm so glad you featured her here on the ABS blog!

Unknown said...

Thanks for a great interview on getting to know Kylie better. I LOVE her little bird and owls!

Jeannie said...

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you. Where is that song from?

I enjoy the interviews.

Kylie, I LoVe your owls.

Unknown said...

Her beads are just wonderful!
I feel the Want gland reacting! Wonderful!

Unknown said...

Jeannie, it is Julie Andrews singing to the kids in Sound of Music. Now I have Julie singing in my head! :)

mairedodd said...

wonderful interview - i really like these... i, for one, like to be able to identify with the creator of pieces i purchase... and those birds with words? i adore those...

TesoriTrovati said...

How great is that! I love that Kylie is a children's book illustrator. My dad used to be the VP of sales of a big publishing company in WI that has the Scholastic market. I love children's books and think that some of the finest art can be found there. I am going to keep my red-goggled eyes open for this book, Kylie!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

song sparrow said...

Your work speaks to the earthy eco-mama in me! I love it! The delicate little pictures on your buttons and pendants are so unique.

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

That first photo of the bird beads is the epitome of beauty in my eyes. The simplicity of the shapes, the rich colors, the symbolism of the birds and the words they have written on them and the time worn look and feel they have is just stunning! They way they are photographed is just perfect as well. Makes me want to have handfuls and handfuls of these sweet little beads!

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

I found a link through your profile page to your other Etsy shop that has your illustrations (which is closed temporarily) - absolutely wonderful paintings!!! I think you will have no problems becoming your own boss if you keep your work going in the direction it's heading in!

Thanks for sharing so much with us!

Unknown said...

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE this Kylie girl!
Can't wait to own some of her work!