Welcome to the Art Bead Scene's Annual Ornament Blog Hop!
We have a great group of beady bloggers who have put together ornaments to share with you today. Be sure to visit them in the links below.
Holiday Beaded Ornaments
by Heather Powers
10-12" 19 gauge blackened steel wire
3-4' 26 gauge silver craft wire
30 grams seed bead mix (purchased or mix your own)
10mm pewter bead cap
6-8mm accent bead
(optional: 4-6mm accent beads to embellish the beaded part of the ornament.)
Chain nose and round nose pliers
Heavy duty wire cutters
1. Form the steel wire into your ornament shape. For the round shape you can use your hands, for a geometric shape use flat or chain nose pliers. Wrap one end of the wire around the top of the shape to secure it. Wrap the other end around the wire heading toward the center of the ornament, pull the wire straight up and string on the disk bead, bead cap and accent bead. Wrap a wire-wrapped loop. Wrap the rest of the other wire under the disk bead.
2. Put your bead mix into the spinner and give it a stir. Make a tight loop at one end of the 26 gauge wire, so the beads won't fall off and slightly curve the other end of the wire into a hook shape.
3. Place the curved wire into the bead spinner and spin the beads onto the wire. A 4" round ornament takes about 3 1/2' of beaded wire. If you run out you can add another piece of beaded wire to finish your design. Leave a 6" tail of wire.
(Optional: you can add in a few larger beads while you are adding beads to the wire for some texture and color.)
4. Wrap the end of the beaded wire around the steel frame and pull the wire across the steel frame to the other side. Let the beads slide down on the wire and wrap the end on the other side of the frame two times.
5. Repeat wrapping the steel frame with the beaded wire until it's completely covered. Trim the wire and tuck in the end with the chain nose pliers.
6. Create a spiral hook with 3" of steel wire.
My 13 year old daughter came up with the Christmas tree.
My husband created present shapes and the ornament shape below.
Now 'tis the season for giving, so we are going to give away a Bead Ornament Kit shown here and a $30 gift certificate to Humblebeads!
To enter: Spread the news about the ornament hop today on one social media site or more: like facebook, twitter or your blog. One entry per person. Leave a comment in the link below to let me know you helped spread the holiday cheer.
Grab a candy cane and a cup of cocoa while you meander through the blog hop:
Art Bead Scene - you are here!
Join us on Monday for our annual 12 days of Christmas with free projects for the Art Bead Scene contributors!