Thursday, August 23, 2012

Art Bead Swap at Bead Fest Summer

This past weekend, I was lucky enough to return to the Bead Fest Summer show in Philadelphia, PA. It's a great bead show and one of the best in the country. My friend, Diana Ptaszynski of Suburban Girl Studio held her annual Art Bead Swap event at the show. A group of us jewelry designers and bead artists got together Saturday afternoon to exchange packages. Before the swap, Diana paired us up. Here I am with my swap partner, Linda Hanes of Crafty Gal Designs:

 Linda gathered together a nice collection of treasures for me. I was pretty thrilled because many of these artists were new to me, along with a few old favorites as well! Linda dabbles in mixed media jewelry, so she even created a collage tile pendant necklace for me. It's so sweet! Here's my stash from Linda:
Cream-colored lampwork rondelles from Susan Sheehan, small brown lampwork rondelles from HMB Studios, glass work pendant from Tari Zarka of Aspiring Artists of the Earth, ceramic washer beads from Elaine Ray, handmade mixed-media pendant necklace by Linda Hanes and a ceramic rose pendant from our host, Diana of Suburban Girl Studio.
And speaking of our fearless leader, here she is! After we swapped, we threw our names in a bag and Diana drew them for some door prizes. Well...actually, my mother-in-law, Nancy Siegel drew the names, but Diana looked cute holding the bag! :)

I won this gorgeous copper clay, paisley-patterned pendant from Kristi Bowman. I was super excited to win one of her pieces! I'm a huge fan of Kristi's work. Copper is one of my favorite metals and I love the shape and pattern of this pendant as well. Staci Louise Smith was present for the swap. It was nice to see her again. She gifted all the swap participants with one of her polymer clay pendants. I picked out this one. I adore the colors in it!

I have to thank Diana for putting together yet another event for us. She does a great job organizing this art bead swap each year. The best part about going to the show is getting together with beady friends and meeting even more beady friends! I met quite a few gals from the beading community that I've only been able to keep in touch with online. It's such a wonderful opportunity to get a chance to meet them all in person. Here's the gang that attended the swap this time around:

Photo credit: Amy Freeland
From left to right: Marsha Neal, Barbara Bechtel, Me, Kristen Stevens, Karen Totten, Melinda Orr, Vanessa Gilkes, Amy Freeland, Diana Ptaszynski, Lorelei Eurto, Linda Hanes, Sue Kennedy, Kathleen Klik, Staci Smith, and Sandi Volpe.

I'm looking forward to our next get together, Girls! If you'd like to join us or if you are interested in more information, contact Diana. See you next year!

Erin Siegel is a jewelry designer, beading instructor and co-author of the jewelry book, Bohemian-Inspired Jewelry: 50 Designs Using Leather, Ribbon and Cords. To find out more, visit her blog: Erin Siegel Jewelry

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I very much enjoyed this post - especially the group photo at the end. I love it when I can put a name with a face and match that to their shops!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and post! Bead Fest was FANTASTIC thanks to all the sweet bead girls that were there.

Diana P. said...

Looking forward to doing it all over again next year! I love hosting the swap!

Amy F said...

I loved the swap - so fun!

roulette said...

Superbe! J'adore!

Linda Landig said...

Great photos! Loved seeing all my beady friends! I hope to be there next August!

Jenny said...

Drat! I was so sorry to miss the swap! I swapped early with my partner since I was vending... Would have been a great "time out". Good to see you and your MiL!