Friday, March 26, 2010

Fit to Print Book Review: Totally Twisted

The subtitle of Kerry Bogert's new book is "Innovative Wirewire & Art Glass Jewelry." And that is exactly what you'll find in this colorful and fun book. 

I love that Kerry wrote in a conversational tone, you feel like you've stopped by her studio for the afternoon where she shares all her best tips and tricks for working with wire.

The book includes great step by step photos and clear instructions on the techniques.  The projects vary from using sterling silver wire to Kerry's signature mix of sterling and brightly colored artistic wire.  You'll learn how to make findings, your own chain, wire beads and how to use wire as a design element.

I love that the author shows 'tools' from common objects found in the studio like shaping a bracelet around a glass or links around tube of beads.  The idea that working with wire is easy and accessible is a common theme in the book.  I also enjoyed seeing the alternative views of the projects in different colors to show the versatility of the design and to spark the readers own variations.

Now let's talk art beads! Kerry is a glass beadmaker and every project in this book features a juicy collection of lampwork beads.  The projects could easily be adapted to showcase art beads of any medium.  I gave one of the projects a test run last weekend and worked up Kerry's Scrolliriffic bracelet using some of my disk beads, aquamarine stones and recycled glass, shown below.

I have wanted to make a chain using those s-links forever but just couldn't work them up successfully on my own.  After reading Kerry's directions I was whipping them out like a pro. 

You can find out more about Kerry on her blog and website, where sells her lampworked beads at http://www.kabconcepts.com/

Order a copy of Kerry's book today, I highly recommend it!
Totally Twisted: Innovative Wirework & Art Glass Jewelry

Reviewed by Art Bead Scene founder and editor, Heather Powers.

9 comments:

Christine said...

Great review! I just got my copy and I adore it.

And your bracelet with the s-links is really beautiful; nice work!

TesoriTrovati said...

Great review Heather!
I love Kerry's fun and funky style. This book is like a breath of fresh air on my shelf (but it doesn't stay there for long!). I love how adaptable it is. The wire looks great with Kerry's beads, but equally stunning with your own Heather. Such vastly different styles of art beads, coupled with the stunning array of wire choices these days, and you have magic in your hands! There are truly no limits with the techniques in this book. Go out and make each twist your own!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Unknown said...

Awesome book and projects!!

Pearl and Pebble said...

Excellent review and I love your bracelet! The silvery blues are amazing.

Barb Broxson, Jewelry Artist said...

Great review! I love this book and your bracelet is gorgeous!!!

Karen Beth said...

Bought the book and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It got me totally inspired and I've been making beads and wire jewelry ever since. Great review!

Alice said...

A great review! I'v got to pick this up the next time I'm in the city.

Your bracelet with the S links is beautiful!

Lyn Foley said...

I agree with Alice - I've got to get this book. Your review really told me why, and I liked seeing what you have done without the handmade glass. Good job!

Sarah said...

I just ordered a copy - can't wait for it to get here! I love Kerry's style.