Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Design Team Challenge - June

You may remember a while back I put out a call for our new monthly Design Team Challenge.  Here are the amazing results from our first round. 

I sent each of our designers my Autumn Wildflowers Pendant and a set of Willow Disk Beads.  Their creations are so unique and I'm thrilled to see how different each designer highlighted the pendant.
 Jen Judd
Jen Judd - "For this necklace I wanted to include leather, which I love for texture and the casual influence, so I went with a two strand design. The orangy-red leather brings out the subtle color of the Humblebead pendant. Plus, I added to the centerpiece with another art bead pendant from Kristie Roeder's Artisan Clay. The main component of the other strand is some gorgeous Red Creek Jasper from Dakota Stones. I love the way its organic look works in concert with your handmade pretties."

"I've been in 'set' mode lately, so there's also a multi-strand bracelet and a little pair of earrings that complete the look." 

Lori Anderson
Lori Anderson - Her design used kyanite, aquamarine, and carnelian along with silver.  I love how the delicate flowers of the chain enhance the wildflower pendant.

Erin Prais-Hintz 
Erin Prais-Hintz - I was inspired by the pendant that Heather sent. I imagined that these are like the billowy grasses that are along the waysides throughout the state. Wherever you drive, country roads or highways, you see these grasses and wild plants waving in the breeze. I called this main necklace "By the Wayside" from that inspiration.
And the blue ones were so pretty that they need a design on their own. The branches against a bright blue sky reminded me of the limbs of the trees by the Wisconsin River in the winter, starkly outlined against the sky. And "Frost on the Blooms" was born.
 
Cindy Wimmer
Cindy Wimmer - "I had fun trying out some newly-learned skills from my workshop with Richard Salley. I etched a copper 'frame'/backing for the focal and even created a toggle from copper sheet using a stamp I found in a similar pattern used in the disk beads."

Lorelei Eurto

Lorelei Eurto - "I was so excited to finally get to work with one of Heather's new painted floral pendants. I was following her blog posts about the inspiration behind these, and the different patterning on each of the beads she had been working, really spoke to me. The texture is subtle, and the coloring especially on this oval pendant, was soft and earthy. I love the coordinating beads that she sent as well.

I knew right away that I wanted to use some suede lace, and creating the long wire wrapped lace sections was something that I was just playing around with. Adding in some pretty orange aventurine, and some burgundy buri seeds really makes the colors in the pendant pop. Brass wire, wire wrapping the links together accentuates the vintage flair of the piece, overall. "

21 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

WOW! Love how different each design came out! I love each piece so much! I wish I had put together some earrings to match my necklace!!

TesoriTrovati said...

How cool is that? I love how everyone's unique interpretation really showcases not only their incredible talent (thank you Heather for the honor of creating with such fabulous gals) but also of their personal styles. Brilliant idea for a Design team on ABS. So much fun!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Elizabeth said...

I'm always fascinated by challenges like this, where the same components are kissed by different muses. What a great reminder of how the human mind is so vast and endless with possibilities.

More like this, please, PLEASE!

Anonymous said...

I always love to see what different designers create with the same art beads. These are all amazing, each unique, each a perfectly balanced design! So beautiful, all of them - I couldn't name a favourite!

Pretty Things said...

I REALLY enjoyed working with these beads, and was honored! I'm in love with everyone's work, and isn't it neat how each person interpreted things differently?

Challenges like these really have helped me grow as a jewelry artist. Keep them coming!

mairedodd said...

incredible work by everyone... heather's beads are stunning and must have been a pleasure to design around... and, as always, i love how each piece is just so reflective of the creator...

sandi m said...

so interesting to see each designer's 'style' come through.
great job everyone!

and great challenge idea, heather.

Cindy said...

Heather, it really was fun working with your gorgeous new beads. What also made this challenge interesting was that I had no idea how many others would be participatiing, and if they had the same beads or not. It's amazing how different each piece turned out...the final designs are each so beautiful. Thanks for this opportunity!

JenniferJangles said...

I love each and every one of these! They are amazing, I can't wait until it's my turn in August.
Good job!
Jennifer

Sherry said...

Wow, I just love them all. Such talented women!

Jen Judd said...

What fun! I'm thrilled and honored to be a part of this amazing group! I agree...Heather's beads are easy to work with since they're so wonderfully done. Plus, the unique styles are so fun! I loved making my pieces but it's even more fun to now so my friends' designs too!

Thanks so much!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

That looks like it would be fun! They all turned out beautifully. Connie

Karyn said...

What a gorgeous collection of pieces. I always love to see what people can create with the same piece- it just shows how creative and different we all are. Well done guys!

Karyn

Patti said...

What a great challenge! They are ALL fabulous!

Barbara Lewis said...

These are all so great! Kudos to the Design Team ... you did Heather proud!

elisabeth said...

Wow! Beautiful pieces all of them.

Michelle Mach said...

Always fun to see different designs with the same piece!

stregata said...

Incredible interpretations of design beginning with a little work of art. Congrats to all the designers - these are all so well done!

Doreen said...

This was really fun! I love seeing how so many different designs can come from the same beginnings!

Heather said...

These are all so amazing. The uniqueness of each design and the color choices are just beautiful. I love them all. The fairly neutral colors of the Heather's awesome pendant is so versatile. Nice designs ladies!!

artybecca said...

I will second (third, and fourth...) everyone's positive reactions. I love seeing what how different the results can be even though the starting point is the same. It's very inspirational!